Access Points Coverage

Surya10101
Getting noticed

Access Points Coverage

Most of my collegues asking how much will be the coverage can get by the Meraki Access Points. For eg: MR28 will be connected upto ___ merters in diameters . Approximately we need to know all Access points will give coverage with respect to all factors.

5 Replies 5
GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Well you know it depends on alot of factors.
Your endpoints, your environment and the type of applications you use will all have an effect on the effective usable range of the AP.

When I put an MR28 on an empty floorplan (open air) on a height of 2.4 meters height (ceiling mount) where I use a laptop as reference (-3 dB) I get a border of -67 dBm at +/- 40 meters from the AP in multiple directions and 30 in 1 direction.  Do mind that this is the radius not the diameter.

GIdenJoe_0-1709624280910.png

FabianSchleef
Here to help

Hi,

if you want to achieve a good rf design (it's not all about signal strength) you should consider talking to a wireless consultant which can do a professional wi-fi site survey. 

Here is a pretty nice Meraki documentation page covering all important aspects like capacity planning, radio settings and so on: https://documentation.meraki.com/Architectures_and_Best_Practices/Cisco_Meraki_Best_Practice_Design/...

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Site survey!!! Do not just rely on antenna patterns and data sheets. There are so many variables with wireless signal that the only answer is to get hardware onsite and work through your site. 

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

20m diameter of coverage is usually pretty safe for good coverage.

K2_Josh
Building a reputation

It seems like you have a few options:

1. Hire a wireless consultant

2. Install at least one AP in every room (mounted horizontally)

3. Accept that performance will not meet expectations of IT or users

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels