AP seems to be overwhelmed

AnkitSharma1
Here to help

AP seems to be overwhelmed

Hi Experts

Users are complaining about poor connectivity Is channel usage casue?

Please suggest me solutions 

AnkitSharma1_1-1706757076872.png

8 Replies 8
Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

There is very high interference in that 2.4Ghz channel. 

2.4Ghz is often susceptible to interference due to the number of devices and limited amount of non overlapping spectrum. This can become an issue is even medium density areas.

See if there are any channels that have less utilisation (the Meraki spectrum analyser can help there). Work with your clients to use 5ghz (most computers the days support it).

Or identify sources of interference and turn them off. These can be anything from neighbouring AP's to other broadcasting devices

@Brash  thank you for the reply ..can I enable the band steering?

Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You can certainly try. 

Have you confirmed that the clients reporting issues are on the 2.4Ghz band?

Sorry that i have not checked..

While it's not a perfect tool, the AP neighbour section, might provide evidence as to what is causing the high interference. It's an EA function, so you need to enable it:

DevOps_RC_0-1706784612056.png

Once enabled, you can then drill down into each AP to look for overlapping/Interfering APs:

DevOps_RC_1-1706784798930.png

DevOps_RC_2-1706784851227.png

Alternatively the RF Spectrum section might provide some evidence, but neither of these tools will identify what would be causing any non-802.11 interference...you'll need some proper kit to determine and identify those issues.....

Best advice is the same as @Brash  and @alemabrahao , try to get your devices to prefer the 5GHz frequency. I've used band steering and client steering within the Meraki config, but I've had to disable them as it seemed to cause connectivity issues.

Good luck, I hope you manage to move your clients towards less cluttered spectrum 🙂

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Nowadays it is very common in 2.4Ghz (Amount of users in 2.4, neighboring APs, other unidentified interference, all of this can influence), my advice is to use 5Ghz whenever possible

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Sorry to hear it’s overwhelmed, maybe give it a couple of days off. 😉

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.
AnkitSharma1
Here to help

Team,  I think There is a bandaid fix that I can apply to maybe boost performance on those access points. If we increase the minimum bitrate on those access points it should allow for those device to be able to accommodate more throughput

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels