AP MR36H power consumption

PRC
Conversationalist

AP MR36H power consumption

Hello everyone,

The datasheet of the MR36H says the max consumption of the AP is 30W, but want does this actually means? 
Can the AP by itself consume 30W or is it if it's giving PoE to another device through the PoE port? 

The scenario is: I'm trying to calculate which switchs (in this case MS210LP 370W or MS210FP 720W) and how many I need to power 40 to 42 MR36H APs. There will be nothing conected to the AP that draws power.  

Thanks in advance!

6 Replies 6
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

This is the maximum energy it will consume, in other words, if you multiply 30 x 40 (number of APs) you will need a switch with at least 1200W, in this case you would need two switches with 720W to distribute the APs between them.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
PRC
Conversationalist

Hi @alemabrahao, thanks for the anwser.

But how can the MR36 only have a max consumption of 15W and the MR36H have a 30W consumption? 
That can only mean that the 30W of the MR36H is applicable when the AP is powering something else, like a telephone or even other AP. Am I correct? 

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@PRC I would expect an MR36H without other connected devices to use 7-10W, however you should be aware that it is technically possible for it to consume 30W, so you should plan for that possibility, even if it is just understanding which ports will disable PoE first. 

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

In fact, the more features the greater the consumption will be, reaching a maximum of 30W, does this mean that it will always be consuming 30W? Not really, but it can and will happen at some point when you reach maximum consumption, so I advise you to follow the documentation to avoid headaches in the future and plan your plans taking maximum consumption into account.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

alemabrahao_0-1709215577760.png

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If you don't plug any PoE device into the MR36H you would be pretty safe allowing a budget of 15.4W for it.  Most of the time it will use less than 10W.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels