802.11r in a mixed client environment

Solved
SuperM
Here to help

802.11r in a mixed client environment

Hi All,

We have a dedicated SSID for Voice Picking Devices (VPD) with 802.11r enabled, totalling approximately 53 devices.

I've noticed that 2 devices are not 802.11r-compatible, as indicated by the Meraki dashboard under Capable Wi-Fi standards.

My question is, does 802.11r have any impact on VPD clients that do not support this feature other than not benefiting from 802.11r advantages? Additionally, could these clients potentially impact the network or other clients?

Thanks in advance, I appreciate it

1 Accepted Solution
Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

No, you shouldn't see any other impacts for these clients. As you said, they simply won't receive the advantages the standard has to offer.

Similarly, it should not impact the rest of your wireless clients.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

No, you shouldn't see any other impacts for these clients. As you said, they simply won't receive the advantages the standard has to offer.

Similarly, it should not impact the rest of your wireless clients.

KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

As @Brash said. The AP will offer the Clients to connect with or without 802.11r. If the client supports it, it will use it. If the client doesn't support it, it will connect the "traditional" way. There is only one gotcha that is probably not relevant to your environment: Some old clients get confused by being offered two options and don't connect at all.

SuperM
Here to help

Thank you @Brash and @KarstenI

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels