6E APs

Solved
PJ51182
Getting noticed

6E APs

Hi,

It's looking highly likely I will be involved in a refresh of close to 1000 APs with Cisco/Meraki 6E models.

With the utilisation of the 6Ghz range, I can foresee having quite a bit of work getting the coverage right.

Out of interest has anyone had experience of a similar exercise and if so, roughly how many additional APs were required? I've been seeing an additional 20% mentioned while doing some research.

Any general experiences of using the CW models would also be gratefully revived.

Cheers

1 Accepted Solution
GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I'm in the ETSI area so I only have access to the UNII-5 band.  So it is important if you do predictive survey (yes Ekahau just does it) that you use the highest PSC channel.
As you can see from a simulation I made using an AP on the default 2.4 meter in height without any offset these are the differences on a CW9166.

GIdenJoe_0-1704209593727.png

I would assume the coverage is about 5 meters lower in circumference so that will add up in free space.
Real world losses through materials will probably not be as different as the 5 GHz but real live measurements will have to tell this.

View solution in original post

16 Replies 16
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

It's hard to say, it would be best if you carried out a predictive site survey first.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
UKDanJones
Building a reputation

Get someone to do a predictive design based on your requirements (types of devices, high density areas, applications in use, roaming paths etc). Anyone that tells you just add X number of devices is only interested in selling you tin and not actually trying to get it working as you need. 

id go for the CW9164 AP as it’ll give you most bang for your buck though. No need for the 9166 unless you need directional APs. 

Please feel free to hit that kudos button
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

We've deployed a number of CW9166s over the last year, but as we predominantly use PSK, but don't use WPA3, we can't use the 6GHz spectrum...

Contrary to the above comments we decided that the CW9166 was better than the CW9164 due to the 6GHz radio being able to flex to 5GHz, supporting a higher density of users where you cannot use WPA3.

For low density areas we have selected the CW9162 as it was hardly any more than the MR44 that we had previously purchased.

KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Same here. Most customers' 9166 are still running on dual-5 because the WPA3 migration is not ready.

UKDanJones
Building a reputation

Any reason you haven’t updated to use WPA3? I’ve not had any issues in the networks I’ve deployed since 6 GHz became available. 

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Mainly compatibility, but we could try it on some SSIDs that have known fairly modern devices...  I might give that a go 🤔

I have also had terrible compatibility issues with WPA3.  It is only in the last 60 days I have been able to use it stabily at home with a single device (and I had to create a separate SSID to make this work).

rhbirkelund
Kind of a big deal

Designing Wi-Fi coverage on 6 GHz is still somewhat new, and there aren't that many solutions out there for measuring 6 GHz, although I believe that Ekahau's Sidekick 2 might support it. I'm not completely sure at this moment.

You might want to take a look at this presentation by Fred Niehaus (Wireless TME and Tech Leader @ Cisco) on comparing 5 GHz with 6 GHz from Mobility Field Day, back in May '23. They spent some time on testing coverage (seen from different devices) on 5 GHz and 6 GHz, and how they'd compare.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ny0t-WiLk70 

LinkedIn ::: https://blog.rhbirkelund.dk/

Like what you see? - Give a Kudo ## Did it answer your question? - Mark it as a Solution 🙂

All code examples are provided as is. Responsibility for Code execution lies solely your own.
UKDanJones
Building a reputation

You can also use a NetAlly Etherscope nXG or a Hamina Nomad (with the on-site) app. 
https://www.hamina.com/onsite-preorder 

Hamina is a much cheaper alternative to Ekahau. You can also just sign up for 6 months. 

KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

For Dan's statement, we have to confess that he is a Hamina Fan. Well, so am I. And I also preordered the Nomad measuring device. 🙂

UKDanJones
Building a reputation

I am a Hamina fan. But I do still pay for Ekahau too…

I also have a nomad already 🤫 its a prototype… they won't be see-through!

IMG_0414.jpeg

Ekahau is more complete. 🙂

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

But aren’t vendors now pushing 7GHz APs 😆

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.
KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

At least the latest news are promising that also the EU (and perhaps the little rainy island in the North Sea) will have WiFi in the first part of 7GHz …

GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I'm in the ETSI area so I only have access to the UNII-5 band.  So it is important if you do predictive survey (yes Ekahau just does it) that you use the highest PSC channel.
As you can see from a simulation I made using an AP on the default 2.4 meter in height without any offset these are the differences on a CW9166.

GIdenJoe_0-1704209593727.png

I would assume the coverage is about 5 meters lower in circumference so that will add up in free space.
Real world losses through materials will probably not be as different as the 5 GHz but real live measurements will have to tell this.

PJ51182
Getting noticed

Thankyou - An interesting discussion.  I use Ekahau for design, was really just after the likely reduction in coverage using 6 compared to 5 GHz.  Looking likely additional APs/structured cabling will be required to cover the same spaces.  Haven't had a chance to look at a site and survey/plan yet, but will be interested to see how it works out.

CW9162I APs that have been proposed (Cisco DNA flavoured) to replace the Cisco 3702/2802 APs.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels