MG Powering Options with MX

SOLVED
mrush
Conversationalist

MG Powering Options with MX

Hi,

For the MG, what are some of the recommended powering options when pairing an MG with an MX? Can I use one MG port connected to a PoE switch, and the second port to the WAN port on the MX?

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
CptnCrnch
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

No, Ethernet1 / WAN has to be the PoE port. So either you‘ll have

a) an MX with PoE ports

b) connect everything to a PoE switch (via dedicated VLAN possibly)

c) use a PoE injector

d) use a dedicated power supply for the MG

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
CptnCrnch
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

No, Ethernet1 / WAN has to be the PoE port. So either you‘ll have

a) an MX with PoE ports

b) connect everything to a PoE switch (via dedicated VLAN possibly)

c) use a PoE injector

d) use a dedicated power supply for the MG

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If I recall correctly, the MG21 has two Ethernet ports.  You can configure one for data and the other for PoE only.

If you configured the port for PoE only you could plug it into an PoE port on an MX.

A power injector does seem rather simple though ...

Maybe its just me but I find it ironic that the big MX models (MX84 and above) do not have any PoE ports =(
Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn
espenvp
Getting noticed

I've recently deployed a fair ammount of MG21E's along with the MX68.

Thankfully the MX68 comes with two built-in PoE ports, however the MG's naturally would like to be connected to the WAN1/2 ports. Hence their mode of operation 😉 But at the current state of things - thats not so easy.

So I came up with the following workaround/solution:

MG port1 - MX port 11 (for PoE)

MG port2 - MX port wan1 (for uplink)

MX port 11 is configured as a trunk, under native VLAN "drop untagged traffic", allowed vlan: you need to add something. With this port11 provides PoE power to the MG, but the MG linknet comes nowhere.

The actual wan connection is done over  MX wan1 and MG port2.

Works for now, but I've issued a "feature request" for moving wan1 and wan2 to the PoE ports on the MX68 (and similar models).

I've also deployed two MGs (multiple carriers) on one MX using the same method and that also works. Using MX wan2 and port 12.

-Espen

Thanks for the detail on how to configure the MX PoE port - this should be in the doco as a use case!

Arun_Paul
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

MX85, MX95, and MX105 models have PoE+ capable WAN links that would help you connect your MG directly --- without a PoE injector.

Thanks,

Arun Paul

So I'm discovering now that the LAN ports on MG51, when connected to two MX85 WAN ports, only one port gets PoE. So if FW1 dies, and its the one providing PoE to the MG51, the second connection (which is up) to FW2 doesn't have PoE, so the MG51 goes down. 

Any way to get dual-PoE from the WAN ports to both LAN ports on the MG51?  So there is no outage created.

TwitterLinkedIn

Confirmed on another thread by another Meraki employee (and a case I opened) that MG unit only support a single PoE source at a time. Data can be dual, but not PoE.

TwitterLinkedIn
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.