iPSK without Radius bandwidth limitations

SOLVED
MarcP
Kind of a big deal

iPSK without Radius bandwidth limitations

Hi all,

to apoligize before, I´m not in the office at the moment and nearly no one is. Those who are don´t have time to test 😉

Have got a existing SSID, with PSK and just read about the IPSK without radius.

The existing has got a SSID bandwidth limitation of 10mbit.

Now I want to change the access control from PSK to IPSK and have got some questions on this. Never worked with GroupPolicies btw.:

Target in generell, I have one SSID, which is for workers private devices, limited to 10mbit for all together. But want to use the same SSID for a iMac, where we are not able to get it into our WPA2-Enterprise SSID. This iMac should have unlimited bandwidth (iMac will be put into a different vlan using the ipsk).

- will the general bandwidth limitation overwrite a group policy bandwidth limitation? (Firewall & traffic shaping)

- if I change the traffic shaping bandwidth limitation to unlimited and define it in the GP, will the GP limit per client or for all together?

- "When bandwidth limitation is enabled, each client on which the group policy is applied will be capped at the chosen bandwidth limit." <-- looks like each client gets 10mbit instead of for all, for example.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MarcP
Kind of a big deal

OK, got it now.

Traffic shaping bandwidth is the one which counts. GP does not overwrite it.

Bandwidth limits in a GP is for each client, not for all clients.

So this solution does not work for me 😞

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
MarcP
Kind of a big deal

OK, got it now.

Traffic shaping bandwidth is the one which counts. GP does not overwrite it.

Bandwidth limits in a GP is for each client, not for all clients.

So this solution does not work for me 😞

securingnimbu5
Here to help

Would it be effective to limit guest network in my home network in order to optimize bandwidth? Would this even be worth it? To create separate vlans for IOTs, Computer, etc.

^^ in order to increase network performance.

Depends on how much bandwidth you have in generell... And what would be in these different vlans.

If you have only a small bandwidth this could be an option, as you don´t want to share too much of your own 😉

Example of my szenraio, we just don´t want to provide to much for our workers... But they should be able to receive messages, whats some YT etc. in their lunch break.
In another vlan, for Guest, there is a higher limit, as they may have to use VPN, stream content to show something etc.

I live in a shared house and work from home. We all share the same connection at 50mb/s download.

Here is what I am thinking: 

Since I'll be working from home, I'd like to ensure that my connection is separated and performing optimally. With such bandwidth to work with, what would be the benefits of creating a separate VLAN for my work and place the rest on native?

I live in a shared house and work from home. We all share the same connection at 50mb/s download.

Here is what I am thinking: 

Since I'll be working from home, I'd like to ensure that my connection is separated and performing optimally. With such bandwidth to work with, what would be the benefits of creating a separate VLAN for my work and place the rest on native?

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels