Wireless WAN Uplink for MX

Solved
TonyLi
Here to help

Wireless WAN Uplink for MX

Due to weak 5G signal reception, the 5G router, which provides Internet WAN to MX via direct wired connection would be relocated to a distant location. However, ethernet cable cannot connect MX to it because of the distance.

I am thinking to create a sort-of wireless bridge between MX and 5G router. What I can think of at this moment, is using a WiFi router/ travel router as MX WAN and then joins wireless network provided by 5G router.

MX--<Wired>--WiFi Router--<WiFi>5G Router--<5G>--Internet

Not sure if anyone has similar experience or better idea.

1 Accepted Solution
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I just wish you good luck.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I just wish you good luck.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

No way to pull a fiber cable to the place where you get reception?

MX has a wired DIA for primary uplink, this 5G is in fact for secondary. We have cables for LAN connection for AP and some POE end devices. An alternative plan is replacing one of them with the 5G router.

TBHPTL
A model citizen

Relocate the MX at a point equidistant from its LAN connection that will make the cable run feasible for the MG or other cellular gateway  cable run that you say is unreachable.

There is wired DIA installed at the current location for MX primary uplink, so MX cannot be relocated. I am thinking relocating the 5G router instead, so the change could be minimized.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels