Clients on our wireless network has been experiencing an issue where they are not able to go out onto the internet due to a DNS error. On the Connectivity timeline reads "Disabled gateway (bad DNS)". At first we thought this meant our local DNS had some issue, but upon changing the DHCP settings of the wireless network to use Google's DNS (220.127.116.11), the error messages still read the same.
What could be the cause of this intermittent problem?
Note: outages last around 12 minutes and may occur between 1 to 4 times within 24 hours.
That indicates the AP itself is having issues reaching the DNS server. Have you tried other DNS IPs (18.104.22.168, 22.214.171.124, or whatever your provider's DNS is)? Are there other Meraki devices on the network? And if yes, do any of them have the same problems?
We only use Meraki on this network. When the error had occurred, it only affected the access points (MR52, MR56). As of this week, the Bad DNS error has not returned. We are still using 126.96.36.199 and 188.8.131.52 as the DNS for the for all WiFi DHCP. I will try 184.108.40.206. and 220.127.116.11 in the scenario that the error comes back. This way I can cross reference the outcomes. Thank you for your input, Ryan!
This was the first thing we did. We started using public DNS servers such as 18.104.22.168 and 22.214.171.124. We did have some errors one week using these DNS server, but as of this week, there has been no problems. I am continually monitoring the network.
We had this issue for a while in addition to losing connectivity to the Meraki dashboard randomly. Strangely enough the fix was to start clearing the ARP and MAC address tables in our core switches (End of life Nexus 3K).