Unable to get response from DHCP

Solved
Skeating
Here to help

Unable to get response from DHCP

Hello

I have an MX68 (fw 15.42.1) which has 6 VLANs configured on it. The MX68 is currently plugged into an HP switch, and draws its (and subordinate switches and APs) IPs from a DHCP server on our network.The MX68 is connected to M210-48L (fw 12.28.1) switches and MR36 (fw 27.6)APs. On each of the VLANs is a DHCP server, which is part of the MX68, not external to it. The APs are connected to the switch via a trunked port, which is set to Native VLAN 1, but all VLANs are allowed. One of the VLANs on the MX68 is for the Guest network (VLAN 3). The SSID is configured with tagging for VLAN 3.

The problem is when I connect a laptop to the wifi for the Guest network, I am getting no IP address. The IP range for VLAN 3 is configured on the MX68 with 192.168.3.0/24. I do get the following log entry: The Failure stage is DHCP, the reason is "Client made a request to the DHCP server, but it did not respond.type='NO DHCP response' associated='true' radio='0' vap='1'"

If I connect to the wifi using the VLAN 1, I get an IP and can get out to the internet. If I take the AP off Bridge mode and set it to NAT using Meraki for DHCP, I get an IP from Meraki. For some reason I cannot get an IP from the DHCP on the MX68.

Is there something I need to configure, so that IP addresses will be issued?

1 Accepted Solution

I checked everything you suggested, and was getting a Guest IP from the MX68 port, but not the one on the switch. I then checked my setup and realized the port from the MX to the switch was set to Access, not Trunk. Once I changed this, everything is working correctly. Thanks for your help

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Can you check all ports are trunk with native vlan 1, allow all?

mx lan port

Ms lan port (to mx)

Ms lan port (to mr)

If that is all fine.You could assign a mx port as access port vlan 3 and connect a pc to see if that works.

If that works try a switchport in vlan 3 and connect pc

I checked everything you suggested, and was getting a Guest IP from the MX68 port, but not the one on the switch. I then checked my setup and realized the port from the MX to the switch was set to Access, not Trunk. Once I changed this, everything is working correctly. Thanks for your help

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels