Super Dense User Capacity: Recommendations ?

SOLVED
Niggy11
Here to help

Super Dense User Capacity: Recommendations ?

Hi! I've set-up Meraki APs for say about 10-20 users per building floor but not for a whole around 7000sq. meter filled with users (estimate 500). I plan on setting up a few MR42 say 5. Haven't tried it in actual yet. is my set up feasible keeping in mind the quality of user experience. (Well who doesn't right? Haha) 

Thanks!!! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

We have generally found that anything over 60 devices connected to an access point (30 per radio) causes noticeable quality issues and it can get bad before that.  If the devices need to use VoIP then the quality degrades much more quickly.  I have seen ~100 devices remain connected on an MR42 or MR52 but we get a lot of complaints when that happens.

I'd start off with 10 APs and expect issues if the user's aren't evenly spread about or the environment has low ceilings, pillars, metal sheeting etc.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Uberseehandel
Kind of a big deal

500 users is a meaningless metric, without usage profiles. In any event, and in all probability, 500 users will equate to a larger number of active connections.

Robin St.Clair | Principal, Caithness Analytics | @uberseehandel
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

We have generally found that anything over 60 devices connected to an access point (30 per radio) causes noticeable quality issues and it can get bad before that.  If the devices need to use VoIP then the quality degrades much more quickly.  I have seen ~100 devices remain connected on an MR42 or MR52 but we get a lot of complaints when that happens.

I'd start off with 10 APs and expect issues if the user's aren't evenly spread about or the environment has low ceilings, pillars, metal sheeting etc.

Thank you for your insights. 🙂 

Fair point. Thank you for this reply. 🙂 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels