Sponsored guest login - anyone using it?

SOLVED
JMI
Here to help

Sponsored guest login - anyone using it?

We're considering getting rid of a rather expensive and inflexible third-party solution that currently provides guest wireless access through individual credentials via SMS. The stock Sponsored guest feature, even if bare-bones, seems to be more than sufficient for our needs.

Anyone using this is a production environment and can share any experience good or bad?

The only questionable thing we've found in our testing is that when the approver clicks the email approval link, the service would confusingly say "John Doe has already been approved" - even if that user or device was never connected to that network previously. Reported this to Meraki Support, and got told to submit a feature request to have this corrected...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Matt-P
Here to help

Yeah I had this problem, I thought it was cosmetic but in fact is was because our email security system was testing the link in the email before sending it on. Somehow it wasn’t enough to approve the request, thankfully. I had the link whitelisted in the email system and now you get a nice “thank you approving ….” Something like that. You can test it by opening up your email domain setting in the portal to include a domain that doesn’t have such scanning, I did it with gmail and it comes through untouched. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Hi @JMI,

I have good experience using the methods provided by Meraki portal, but I used to use billing or social login.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I have quite a few customers using it.  Works well.

Thanks, that is good to hear. Just curious whether you've seen at any of those customers any issues with the message shown on the portal when end users approve their guests?

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

No one has mentioned it ...

Matt-P
Here to help

Yeah I had this problem, I thought it was cosmetic but in fact is was because our email security system was testing the link in the email before sending it on. Somehow it wasn’t enough to approve the request, thankfully. I had the link whitelisted in the email system and now you get a nice “thank you approving ….” Something like that. You can test it by opening up your email domain setting in the portal to include a domain that doesn’t have such scanning, I did it with gmail and it comes through untouched. 

JMI
Here to help

But of course! Brilliant find - I have now excluded the Meraki URL from the Safe Links feature in our 365 tenant. Much appreciated!

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels