Show Meraki splash page only once?

SOLVED
nathanjosiah
New here

Show Meraki splash page only once?

A client's use-case for the splash page is to track their church's weekly attendance by asking the members to login to the wifi. They can then run reports of who was on the wifi. The issue they are having is the splash page is forcing people to authenticate every 90 days (highest available setting) which is affecting the accuracy of the reports. Is there a way to disable the forced-login if the user has been active within the 90 day window?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
NolanHerring
Kind of a big deal

This seems like a not-good way of doing this.

Go to Organization>Location Analytics

This gives you visitor information for day/week/month.

It will specify 'passersby' vs 'connected'. So if someone walks into the church, and they don't connect, you'll still know that the device was there, which is more accurate information vs only relying on splash page counting.
Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
NolanHerring
Kind of a big deal

This seems like a not-good way of doing this.

Go to Organization>Location Analytics

This gives you visitor information for day/week/month.

It will specify 'passersby' vs 'connected'. So if someone walks into the church, and they don't connect, you'll still know that the device was there, which is more accurate information vs only relying on splash page counting.
TwitterLinkedIn

This link explains everything:

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Monitoring_and_Reporting/Location_Analytics

Here is an example of a small branch office I have.

444444444444.jpg

TwitterLinkedIn

Thanks @NolanHerring for the suggestion. That data hasn't seemed to be very accurate of reality. It is constantly over-counting all of the numbers. It's in a busy area so the data is registering way more "visitors" than there really are. 

Well what about just actual client connections page then?

Regardless of splash-page attempts, they clients there either connected or they didn't. Would that give you the count your looking for? So you could just disable the splash page all together and just use Monitor>Clients.

Or is your splash-page having them insert their name and other details?

Otherwise I"m not sure about disabling the forced-login thing
TwitterLinkedIn

@NolanHerring That is something that is being discussed. Yes, they have to make an account before connecting so we get basic information about who has been there but they haven't decided if it's important or not. One of those may-be-nice-to-have-in-the-future situations.

Why not get rid of the splash page, and just leave it open?  You can see see connected statistics.

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I agree with Nolan Meraki isn't really designed to be used as a sign in tool, why not just have visitors sign in using a tablet at the entrance or even more basic get someone to stand at the front door with a clicker to count the number of people as they walk in?

Hey Blake, Thanks for the input! A kiosk isn't feasible for a variety of reasons and a tally counter is a tedious task for hours at a time every week for many of the volunteers. I think they may end up just turning off the registration but I will have to see how it goes.

What about using an MV camera and using the person counting feature (search for "Total Entrances" in this article)?

https://meraki.cisco.com/blog/2018/04/more-analytics-less-infrastructure/

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels