Sending alerts to connected devices on select SSIDs

SOLVED
AndreasKvist
Getting noticed

Sending alerts to connected devices on select SSIDs

Hello, 

I recieved a question yesterday regarding the possibility to send alerts in case of important events, like fire alarm etc, to be sent to devices that is connected to a specific SSID. 

Would it be possible to send alerts over the network without using a mail application?

This was intended for a school.

BR

Andreas

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I think the most you could do without SM is disable the SSID or pop up a splash page by enabling one on the event.  Depending on the activity on the device they may or may not notice either.

If you have an app on the device you could enable a Bluetooth beacon but even that would not be instantaneous.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I think the most you could do without SM is disable the SSID or pop up a splash page by enabling one on the event.  Depending on the activity on the device they may or may not notice either.

If you have an app on the device you could enable a Bluetooth beacon but even that would not be instantaneous.

jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

There is no functionality within the 802.11 spec that would provide this type of service. You will need an outside application to accomplish this.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels