SNR Value

Solved
Theulis
Here to help

SNR Value

Hello all,

Is the SNR value monitored from Meraki's AP perspective or does the client somehow reports that to the AP?

Screenshot 2022-12-07 at 22.27.37.png

1 Accepted Solution
Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I believe the AP reports the SNR value from between the AP and the client (so from the AP's perspective)

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6
Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I believe the AP reports the SNR value from between the AP and the client (so from the AP's perspective)

kapplejacks
Here to help

Its an active tool and changes in real time as meraki sees the client moving around. Check out this cool picture! 😄

wifi-info.PNG

Thank you. I have read this document: https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Wi-Fi_Basics_and_Best_Practices/Signal-to-Noise_Ratio_(SNR)_and_...

but I was wondering if
- This is what the Meraki receiver measures, or
- What the Endpoint (Client) reports to the Meraki (not sure if that is even possible 😅)

Also yes I agree that value is not the actual received signal, but the SNR 😀that constantly changes.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Not completely related, but if you enable 802.11w (management frame protection) some clients (such as Intel NICs with up-to-date drivers) can report additional information (that appears in the dashboard) from the client's perspective.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Wi-Fi_Basics_and_Best_Practices/802.11w_Management_Frame_Protect... 

AxL1971
Building a reputation

on the client go to my.meraki.com

It will show the signal info to the AP you are connected to

example below

AxL1971_0-1670491917375.png

GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The SNR value is the value of the most recent upstream frames from the client.  So the AP just shows how it actually receives the client frames.

So yes it is from the perspective of the AP.
Usually a value above 25 dB is considerd within spec.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels