Radius Authentication and GPO to autoconnect to SSID

SOLVED
BBDave
Getting noticed

Radius Authentication and GPO to autoconnect to SSID

Hi,

We currently have Cisco AP's and a Cisco 5500 wireless controller with radius authentication to our internal SSID. There is a computer policy in AD which autoconnects machines to this SSID when a user logs onto a machine.

We are looking at implementing Meraki at one of our sites and replicating the same SSID name and GPO setup going forward. 

I have setup a SSID with radius authentication on the meraki controller/NPAS server and a new test policy in AD for autoconnecting to the SSID.  The machine is getting the polcy as I have added a deny policy for another SSID which it does however the machine does not want to autoconnect when I login.  I can connect manually to the SSID with no problem, has anyone else come across this issue?  I'm new to the meraki setup so any help would be appreciate.

Thanks

Dave

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If you can connect manually but not automatically then it is an issue with the machine setup itself or the group policy being used.

Only the machine cna decide when it wants to connect.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
kYutobi
Kind of a big deal

Have you checked connection method and made sure the you have the right policy? Was it copied over or did you make a fresh one?

Enthusiast
BBDave
Getting noticed

Hi

I made a copy of the orginal policy and changed the SSID name to new one.

I've changed the Wirless policy back ton the live SSID and that works so the policy must be right.

I'm assuming you mean the associations method which is WPA2 and the authentication method is EAP (PEAP).

Thanks

Dave

MMoss
Building a reputation

The old GPO policy may not have cleared out properly. Open CMD as admin and do a gpupdate /force. Then make sure that the old SSID isn't check marked to auto connect to your current. We usually add our's manually, but once it's setup it'll auto connect without any issues normally.

BBDave
Getting noticed

Hi,

I've trying doing a gpupdate /force and still no joy.  

Thanks

Dave

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If you can connect manually but not automatically then it is an issue with the machine setup itself or the group policy being used.

Only the machine cna decide when it wants to connect.

Hi,

I think you maybe right as I was checking the event viewer on the radius server and there is nothing for the test laptop.

I'm wondering if it the SSID name it doesn't like because if I reset it back to the original name if autoconnects.

Look like its back to the drawing board.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Dave

BBDave
Getting noticed

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the replies.  Just wanted to let you the autoconnect is working now, PhilipDAth you were right it was something to do with the GPO and not the SSID.

I'm not sure if it was the SSID name length or if I'd made a typo in the GPO but I changed and reduced the SSID name and now it works just as before.

So a big thanks to you all.

dave

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels