Need to reboot APs regularly.

SOLVED
Court
Getting noticed

Need to reboot APs regularly.

It seems like our Meraki APs have a need to be randomly rebooted about once a quarter in our environment. No apparent issues on the dashboard, and they look like they are functioning properly, clients can connect, but they are just stuck, providing no network activity for clients. Send a reboot command, and voila, they start working again, connectivity restored. Doesn't appear to be model specific, I've seen it on MR33, MR36, MR42, and MR46E, all up to date on firmware. One or two cases, could just be a hiccup, but I'm seeing it more often than I would attribute to a random hiccup. Has anyone else experienced symptoms like this? And not that this is a permanent fix, but can you script a way to automatically reboot the APs on a schedule? Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

28.6 fixes this issue (at least it has for most people and support confirmed that the release is intended to fix it.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I experienced that a long time ago. I have a simple script on python that can help you (You can schedule to run it):

import requests
import datetime
now = datetime.datetime.now()
filename_prefix ='log'
network = "NETWORK-ID"
s1 = "AP-SERIAL_NUMBER"

#RUNNING REBOOT ON DEVICES
ap1 = "https://api.meraki.com/api/v0/networks/{}/devices/{}/reboot".format(network, s1)
payload = {}
headers = {
'X-Cisco-Meraki-API-Key': 'API_KEY,
'Content-Type': 'application/json'
}

#GENERATING THE RESPONSE CODE (TRUE = REBOOT OK /FALSE = REBOOT NOT OK)
response1 = requests.request("POST", ap1, headers=headers, data = payload)
)

#CREATING THE LOG FILE
filename = "%s_%.2i-%.2i-%i_%.2i-%.2i.txt" % (filename_prefix,now.day,now.month,now.year,now.hour,now.minute)
f = open(filename, 'w')

print('AP01', response1.text.encode('utf8'), file=f)f)
f.close()

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

Hi @alemabrahao.  I'm not versed in python; but I have multiple networks I need to reboot the APs for.  How can this script be edited to reboot the wireless APs for multiple networks?

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

28.6 fixes this issue (at least it has for most people and support confirmed that the release is intended to fix it.

GreenMan
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

If your APs are connected via Meraki switches, there's no need to use scripting to reboot / switch off APs - use MS Port Schedules.    While you're switching them off, why not leave them off (overnight?) to save some energy and CO2s

https://documentation.meraki.com/MS/Access_Control/Port_Schedules

AxL1971
Building a reputation

There is an API call to reboot a device, be it a switch or AP

You pass the device serial number to the API call

I can write some sample code to illustrate, would also inclue a post reboot check to confirm AP has come up be it PING to AP or another API call

KRobert
Head in the Cloud

@cmr  do you know what specifically in 28.6 fixes this issue? We are still on 28.6 and still have the same issues happening as @Court . Looking for what bug was actually fixed. 

CMNO, CCNA R+S
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels