Multi Campus Wireless Network

SOLVED
jayrad92
Conversationalist

Multi Campus Wireless Network

Dear Community,

I have been tasked with setting up traffic shaping on a wireless network spread across 3 campuses. The layout is as follows:

Main campus: MX84 with 12 MR33 APs - 500Mbps bandwidth

Law campus: MX84 with 4 MR33 APs - 100Mbps bandwidth

Admin campus: MX84 with 2 MR33 APs - 50Mbps bandwidth

We currently have one SSID for Students and one for Staff across all campuses. Previously all campuses had a 50Mbps connection and we setup a traffic shaper of 30Mbps for the Students SSID and 20Mbps for the Staff. The Main and Law campuses were upgraded to the above stated bandwidths and we now need to set the traffic shaping to 60% of available bandwidth for the Students and 40% for the Staff per campus. We would like to keep one SSID for Students and one SSID for Staff across all campuses as it makes user management much easier so that a user does not have to be created 3 times. 

Does anyone know if this is possible? Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Please let me know if you need further information.

Regards

Jared

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

In my opinion the best way to solve this is to have the three campusses in their own networks. Then you can setup per-SSID bandwidth limitations for the two SSIDs (keep in mind that those are enforced per AP, rather than globally).

To centralize the user management your SSIDs should use WPA2-Enterprise. Your users will then be centrally managed in your RADIUS server or the directory server linked to it.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

In my opinion the best way to solve this is to have the three campusses in their own networks. Then you can setup per-SSID bandwidth limitations for the two SSIDs (keep in mind that those are enforced per AP, rather than globally).

To centralize the user management your SSIDs should use WPA2-Enterprise. Your users will then be centrally managed in your RADIUS server or the directory server linked to it.

Hi BrechtSchamp

Thanks very much for your suggestion. I agree that is is the best way to solve the problem and will revert back to the client with proposal. 

Thanks again.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels