Meraki MR76 AP doesn't start up

SOLVED
Eugenijus
Here to help

Meraki MR76 AP doesn't start up

Hello,

We have purchase a lot of MR76 APs lately to expand / upgrade our Wi-Fi networks on two sites. Most of them were setup and installed ok, however I received one device from another site that is not loading up.

Short description. Meraki AP MR76 LED light flashes in all different colours, then stops on orange light for a minute or so before another round of changing colours. AP is connected to Meraki MS 125-48LP, we have tried a few different Meraki switches at original site with same result. Sometimes switch shows that there is a PoE device connected and power consumption, however there is no data usage at all. Sometimes switch shows port disconnected. I assume AP is rebooting itself continuously.  AP is claimed to dashboard, it was connected to the dashboard at initial install, because dashboard says "Unreachable for about 1 month". That means AP was working ok for a short while, but developed a fault afterwards. I tried to push "Factory reset" button, but that didn't make any difference.

I wonder what can I do to troubleshoot it further. Can I try to reload firmware while connected AP to PC? I have PoE injector that would allow me to power on AP and same time connect it directly to PC.

Any advice is appreciated. 

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
rwiesmann
A model citizen

Hi, 

i guess since you made already a factory reset, which did not help, I would proceed with Meraki Support.

Just open a support Case and the guys will check what they can do. 

Kind of had a similar issue...did what i could do and opened an support case, which ended in an RMA.

Hope that helps

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Do you have a firewall that could be blocking communication with the Meraki Cloud?

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

Hi Alemabrahao,

We have a lot of other Meraki APs MR76, MR74, MR46/E on both sites. Other devices are communicating ok through same firewalls.

rwiesmann
A model citizen

Hi, 

i guess since you made already a factory reset, which did not help, I would proceed with Meraki Support.

Just open a support Case and the guys will check what they can do. 

Kind of had a similar issue...did what i could do and opened an support case, which ended in an RMA.

Hope that helps

Baah-O-Baah
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hi, 

You will not be able to update the firmware by connecting to a PC. The device should get an IP, connect to the Meraki cloud and fetch any updates available. 

It may be stuck anywhere in that process. A factory reset should get it to try the above once again. If the issue persists, give support a call.

Cheers. 

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Configure a switch port so that you can just plug in a notebook and it can access the Internet without issue.

Now plug in the MR into that same port using the same patch lead.

If it doesn't start working, check out the local status page and see if it offers any hints.

https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Tools_and_Troubleshooting/Using_the_Cisco_Me... 

Otherwise it might be a faulty MR, and you'll need to open a support case.

Eugenijus
Here to help

I contacted Meraki Support and after all tests done received a replacement unit. Thanks for all replies.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels