Mearki MR33 power draw

Solved
GregDanielak
New here

Mearki MR33 power draw

Hi,

I'm considering different option to provide power to my MR33. I am looking at the specs for the power injectors and they all have 55/56 V output. I wanted to get the POE switch TP-LINK TL-SG108PE, but it seems to deliver 48V to devices. How much does Meraki actually need? Will 48V do?

Thank you,

Greg

1 Accepted Solution
BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

You need a standard PoE (802.3af) or better (so 802.3at works too) injector or switch. That TP-link would work.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7
BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

You need a standard PoE (802.3af) or better (so 802.3at works too) injector or switch. That TP-link would work.

We've always been told to use 802.3at for the MR33.  It will work on 802.3af, but I have been told it retards some of its functionality to do this.

That's why on the spec sheet it is described as "802.3af compatible".  You'll see that for a PoE injector it specifies 802.3at.

@PhilipDAth You're thinking of the MR42 and above. Its datasheet mentions the reduced functionality.

The MR33 only uses max 11W so 802.3af is sufficient.

Negative.  The local Meraki SE says the MR33 needs 802.3at as well - but I do find it hard to believe.

Eruch
Conversationalist

I am using a Netgear GS308P switch in one room and I connected a MR33 to it because it puported to have PoE of up to 15W per port (there are 4 POE ports).

I am only using one PoE port. This seemed to be working from July till last week. All of the sudden, this one AP is showing that it does not have an i.p. and that it's a repeater. And its gateway is one of a couple nearby wifi APs. I don't know what's going on here. I did add a new Meraki MS120 further past this point in the network and reset the network and it took a while for everything to stop acting weird (MS 120 was not showing up as present on the network for about 12 hours for reasons unknown.)

I can't be sure that was related, but this one AP is definitely much slower as a repeater.

1. So is this Netgear just too underpowered to deliver both power and a solid LAN connection to the MR33?

2. Could a cable with one loose wire do this?

3. IS the length of cable a problem? It's 35 feet or a little more.

4. Is there a better way to diagnose this from the Meraki dashboard? I don't see an option to just tell it to stop being a repeater. (I know the Netgear switch is getting a live internet connection because I just plugged into it and it feeds two more wifi APs further down the line of this school.)

Thanks in advance.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

My best @Eruch is you have a cabling fault.  If you bring the AP to the switch and patch it indirectly does it work as expected?

Eruch
Conversationalist

Yes, you were right. The darn wire worked from July till a week or so ago. But it was definitely loose at one end and I had to fiddle with it for way too long to get each of 8 wires seated properly. There has got to be a better way to crimp ethernet. In the end, all was right as rain. Thanks

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels