Maximum mesh hops of the Meraki AP?

SOLVED
AlvinJ
Conversationalist

Maximum mesh hops of the Meraki AP?

I'm considering use some MR33 to found a mesh network, covering a place do not have wire ethernet access.

——ethernet cable——RAP---MAP--MAP………………MAP

I can see a description about the maximum mesh hop in the Mesh Deployment Guide (CVD):

There will be a throughput reduction (~50% reduction) with each “hop” in a mesh. It is recommended that a mesh network be designed for no more than one mesh hop from the gateway to client device.

But I can't find the actual maximum hops number of the Meraki AP. (for the Cisco Aironet AP the maximum mesh hops is 😎

So, what's the maximum mesh hops of the MR33 ?

Had someone setup a mesh network more than one hop?

Regards,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MerakiDave
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hi @AlvinJ yes I have had a wireless mesh network with more than 1 hop (2 mesh hops) and it worked fine.  Always follow the rule of thumb to wire when you can, only mesh when you must, and because of the performance impact try to keep it to 1 mesh hop when possible.  Two mesh hops (and even more) will still work, but with a significant drop in performance for each additional hop, so you need to take a close look at the number of clients and what type of apps they're running to determine if it will still be usable with the 3 hops you have depicted below.  I don't believe there is a published limit, but that certainly does not mean there's no limit, although Aironet specifies 8 mesh hops max, you'd never want to do that either.  I've deployed Aironet with 2 mesh hops as well but never 3 or more, if more than 3 consecutive mesh hops are required, most customers will look for another way to get more intermediate wired APs.  Hope that helps!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Rudi
Getting noticed

I don't have a concrete answer for you - but I wouldn't do more than 3 hops at the absolute most. With 3 hops you'll have ~87.5% throughput reduction.

AlvinJ
Conversationalist

Thank you for your answer~
MerakiDave
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hi @AlvinJ yes I have had a wireless mesh network with more than 1 hop (2 mesh hops) and it worked fine.  Always follow the rule of thumb to wire when you can, only mesh when you must, and because of the performance impact try to keep it to 1 mesh hop when possible.  Two mesh hops (and even more) will still work, but with a significant drop in performance for each additional hop, so you need to take a close look at the number of clients and what type of apps they're running to determine if it will still be usable with the 3 hops you have depicted below.  I don't believe there is a published limit, but that certainly does not mean there's no limit, although Aironet specifies 8 mesh hops max, you'd never want to do that either.  I've deployed Aironet with 2 mesh hops as well but never 3 or more, if more than 3 consecutive mesh hops are required, most customers will look for another way to get more intermediate wired APs.  Hope that helps!

AlvinJ
Conversationalist

Ok, I got it, thank you for your help ^_^
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels