Manually upgrade firmware on MERAKI AP´s

SOLVED
LS-MERAKI-CR
Here to help

Manually upgrade firmware on MERAKI AP´s

Hy everybody!

Someone knows if it is possible to manually upgrade the firmware's AP, and that it is in isolation from the rest of the APs?

For example for test effects and behavior measurement, without applying the new version to all APs at the same time.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@LS-MERAKI-CR if you go to Organization --> Firmware Upgrades --> All Networks, you can see the current version your devices are on. By clicking on the Current firmware version, you can view security and bug fixes, as well as navigate through previous and current releases. The link below details some of the new additions to the firmware administration process.

https://meraki.cisco.com/blog/2017/07/a-new-approach-to-meraki-firmware-management/

As far as scheduling upgrades, you can do this on a per network or per device type basis. One option here would be to move the AP you wish to upgrade to a segregated 'Test' network and then upgrade only that Test network. 

https://documentation.meraki.com/zGeneral_Administration/Firmware_Upgrades/Managing_Firmware_Upgrade...

Thanks!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Fruju
Here to help

In the meraki dashboard, if you go to the access point in question under "wireless" and scroll to the bottom of the access point page, you can select to update that single AP's firmware.

Thank you friend Fruju for the suggestion.

I'm not really convinced of the recommendation, because if I go to "meraki dashboard / access point  / wireless / access point page, if I select to update that single AP's firmware" that leads me to the "general / whole network" panel, where I see the mechanism or update schedule is configured for all available Aps and not for the selected AP.

The suggested procedure does not give you the certainty that you are actually working on a specific AP, because you do not see the name of the AP or the serial number of the AP that was theoretically selected according to the procedure.

( I need to update only 1 AP to the new firmware version, and that all other APs continue with their original version )

Is there any way to directly enter the specific AP´s itself page using it’s IP (public or private) and then start the upgrade process from there?

**By the way, is there a way to know which version of firmware has each AP installed by the MERAKI’s dashboard?

Please advice!

@LS-MERAKI-CR if you go to Organization --> Firmware Upgrades --> All Networks, you can see the current version your devices are on. By clicking on the Current firmware version, you can view security and bug fixes, as well as navigate through previous and current releases. The link below details some of the new additions to the firmware administration process.

https://meraki.cisco.com/blog/2017/07/a-new-approach-to-meraki-firmware-management/

As far as scheduling upgrades, you can do this on a per network or per device type basis. One option here would be to move the AP you wish to upgrade to a segregated 'Test' network and then upgrade only that Test network. 

https://documentation.meraki.com/zGeneral_Administration/Firmware_Upgrades/Managing_Firmware_Upgrade...

Thanks!

@CJ_Ramsey -- "As far as scheduling upgrades, you can do this on a per network or per device type basis. One option here would be to move the AP you wish to upgrade to a segregated 'Test' network and then upgrade only that Test network."

So you say you can schedule upgrades on a per network or per device type basis above but your example is a segregated "test" network which would just be on a per-network basis... or am I missing something? Is there no way to tag/mark/etc. a particular device(s) in 1 network that you want to not be upgraded on the firmware upgrade schedule or to stay on a certain revision of firmware? 

Thanks in advance. 

Tanner Johnson, ITILv4, ECMS1

No, you are not able to leverage tags in order to upgrade individual devices in a network, it is going to upgrade all of the devices matching that device type within the Network. The idea for a segregated NW was just in case you wanted to do testing on an individual AP to evaluate firmware.

robby_barnes
Getting noticed

In the dashboard under “organization” you can choose “firmware upgrades”. In there select your networks, and you can upgrade them individually, as long as they aren’t on a template.

You can also work with support for specific versions that you don’t see in the firmware picker.

Thank you friend robby_barnes for the suggestion.
I need to update only 1 AP to the new firmware version, and that all other APs continue with their original version.

CJ_Ramsey
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

@LS-MERAKI-CR also, I forget to mention, but you can reach out directly to Meraki support and they have the ability to granularly add specific builds to specific devices.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels