MR33 Guest Access Best Practices

Solved
yogesh
Conversationalist

MR33 Guest Access Best Practices

Hello ,

I want to installed MR33 hotel and allowed guest to connect to the internet internet  .For that what would be the best practices? .Which method should i used to allow guest access.any recommendation 

1 Accepted Solution
KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Ok, there is more than the splash-page.

• Make sure that a single user can not saturate your internet-link. Could be done by a per-client bandwidth limit.
  • Make sure that bulk traffic like online-backup is shaped to a reasonable amount.
  • Filter traffic to the internet that can be harmful to others. I generally do not allow guests tcp/25 and snmp. Also think about L7 filters for things like P2P applications.
  • Configure Layer 2 LAN isolation so that one guest can not attack another. This is automatically done if you use Meraki DHCP.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5
KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

yogesh
Conversationalist

Hi Karstenl ,

Thanks for the reply .I will check all the possibilities  but it would be very helpful if you suggest as a best Practice which one is used widely in hotel industries for Guest access   

KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I do not think that there are general best practices. But there are different goals that a hotel could have. Some want to make money with the WLAN, some want to provide best guest experience. As a traveler, I of course prefer the second goal.

If your local rights allow this, I would go for the "click through" splash page. The guest has to accept an "acceptable use policy" and is connected to the internet. That is very convenient for the guest.

KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Ok, there is more than the splash-page.

• Make sure that a single user can not saturate your internet-link. Could be done by a per-client bandwidth limit.
  • Make sure that bulk traffic like online-backup is shaped to a reasonable amount.
  • Filter traffic to the internet that can be harmful to others. I generally do not allow guests tcp/25 and snmp. Also think about L7 filters for things like P2P applications.
  • Configure Layer 2 LAN isolation so that one guest can not attack another. This is automatically done if you use Meraki DHCP.
yogesh
Conversationalist

Thanks for your great support .It would be very helpfull.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels