MR32 hidden and visible SSID

SOLVED
TavoHern
Here to help

MR32 hidden and visible SSID

I want to replicate my SSID in all mys MR32, but only in some AP i want it to be visible and in other hidden, can this be done?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
HodyCrouch
Building a reputation

I believe the short answer is no.

Meraki does support Per-AP SSID Availability through the use of AP tags and settings on the SSID Availability screen.  You probably already found that feature.

Even if Meraki supported the type of hybrid-SSID-broadcast that you describe, I don't think it would work in the way that you intend.  I believe that wireless clients keep track of whether a stores profile references a broadcasting or non-broadcasting SSID.  For broadcasting SSIDs, clients listen passively for the AP to advertise the SSID.  For non-broadcasting SSIDs, the client actively attempts to connect.  If your users associate to your SSID in an area where it's broadcasting, and later attempt to re-connect in a 'non-broadcasting' area, I don't think the device will connect.  Roaming might be a different story, but then things could get really weird.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HodyCrouch
Building a reputation

I believe the short answer is no.

Meraki does support Per-AP SSID Availability through the use of AP tags and settings on the SSID Availability screen.  You probably already found that feature.

Even if Meraki supported the type of hybrid-SSID-broadcast that you describe, I don't think it would work in the way that you intend.  I believe that wireless clients keep track of whether a stores profile references a broadcasting or non-broadcasting SSID.  For broadcasting SSIDs, clients listen passively for the AP to advertise the SSID.  For non-broadcasting SSIDs, the client actively attempts to connect.  If your users associate to your SSID in an area where it's broadcasting, and later attempt to re-connect in a 'non-broadcasting' area, I don't think the device will connect.  Roaming might be a different story, but then things could get really weird.

michael_g
Here to help

If you separate the APs between two different networks you could have one network with the SSID hidden and the other network set to broadcast the name.  As HodyCrouch mentioned, there is always the SSID availability feature that can simply remove the AP from broadcasting on certain access points.  This method is far superior in my opinion as it simplifies managing once you tag the APs, and doesn't require too much effort.  Also, I would recommend against hiding your SSID broadcast if that was your intention, it causes more problems than it's worth and is not an effective security measure.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels