Latency spikes every ~1 minute

SOLVED
jdiggins
Conversationalist

Latency spikes every ~1 minute

Hi Meraki Community,

I'm using 5 MR33s running firmware 25.13. We have had issues with Twilio VoIP and in our investigations have found our wifi network has latency spikes almost exactly every minute apart - it seems very mechanical in nature. 

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing the issue or steps I should take to find the root cause of the issue?Screen Shot 2019-05-15 at 3.17.45 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-05-15 at 3.10.04 PM.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
jdiggins
Conversationalist

The issue ended up being the location services on our Macbook pros being turned on. It turns out some of the options can cause this latency about once a minute when on wifi (the latency didn't show up when connected to ethernet). I turned off location-based suggestions and location based apple ads which seemed to do the trick.

I found out about this issue here: https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/263638/macbook-pro-experiencing-ping-spikes-to-local-route...

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
BrandonS
Kind of a big deal

Have you taken a packet capture and looked at it in Wireshark?  That is where I would start.

- Ex community all-star (⌐⊙_⊙)
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

That could be nasty to find.

I'm going to guess something in the area (maybe not on your WiFi network) is using up RF spectrum on some kind of check in cycle.

Hopefully you are using 5Ghz to minimize this issue.

jdiggins
Conversationalist

The issue ended up being the location services on our Macbook pros being turned on. It turns out some of the options can cause this latency about once a minute when on wifi (the latency didn't show up when connected to ethernet). I turned off location-based suggestions and location based apple ads which seemed to do the trick.

I found out about this issue here: https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/263638/macbook-pro-experiencing-ping-spikes-to-local-route...

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels