Intel AC-7265 on MR42 Nework issue, primarly on Dell Latitude 3150

jmguthrie
Here to help

Intel AC-7265 on MR42 Nework issue, primarly on Dell Latitude 3150

Over the past school year, I have been getting reports of connectivy issues on a campus with all MR42 APs (current code) and more importantly a school full of (student) Dell Latitude 3150's using the Intel AC-7265 dual band wireless card.  Current driver being applied for the card is 19.1.0.4.

I have other, newer Dell models at other locations but with same AC-7265 card and NOT having issues.

Very much thinking driver issues, but wanted to see if anyone else out there has had similar experience.  In process of taking driver to V. 19.51.8.2 (most recent from Intel) to see if it helps.

8 REPLIES 8
Mr_IT_Guy
A model citizen

What kind of issue are you experiencing? I have had issues with some Dell computers where they are unable to see the SSID of a connection they previously were able to see. Once I recreate the SSID, everything works fine.

Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below)

Random disconnects from the known/assigned SSID.  Typically, you can 'see' the same SSID via Windows (10) and reconnect, even though its set to do it automatically.  Sometimes it may take a reboot.  Windows event logs are showing a crash of the driver, which is what is leading me down the driver path....

MRCUR
Kind of a big deal

Driver update will probably do the trick. We've had a LOT of issues with older Intel drivers where we get the same reports of issues you're seeing. 

MRCUR | CMNO #12
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I wonder if this is a roaming issue.  To test if this is the issue could you try disabling "Client balancing" under Wireless/Radio Settings.

Screenshot from 2018-03-01 09-40-18.png

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Also are you using WPA2-Enterprise mode?  If so, try enabling 802.11r for a trial.  Do this after hours, as currently connected devices might have trouble re-connecting after the change.

No---just WPA2-Personal.  I have, on another network, just turned on the 802.11r 'adaptive' option to see how that works out before rolling it out to my entire school system (we are using a template for 90% of our net).

"Adaptive" basically only works with Apple devices.  You need to go the "whole way" and just enable it.

kYutobi
Kind of a big deal

Now having the same issue with a Dell Inspiron Chromebook 14 2-in-1 (7486) but the only difference is you can't do a driver update. 

Enthusiast
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels