Good replacement for NPS Radius for WIFI?

Marc_Abaya
Here to help

Good replacement for NPS Radius for WIFI?

We're going to retire our Windows NPS after 10+ years in service. It's very reliable, but we're missing some key features like MFA.  We're a mix of Azure AD and Google Workspace. 

What are the common solutions out there that's popular and mostly used? We're currently looking at JumpCloud and SecureW2.

7 Replies 7
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

In my opinion Cisco ISE is the best solution.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

NPS does technically have an MFA integration, but it certainly has its limitations.

Use Azure AD Multi-Factor Authentication with NPS - Microsoft Entra | Microsoft Learn

I typically see people use Cisco ISE and Aruba Clearpass.

I have also heard of people using Jumpcloud which looks intriguing, but I've never tried it.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

People don't tend to use MFA for WiFi because roaming events could result in a lot of push notifications.

For VPN, people tend to use SAML now (which requires Cisco AnyConnect) rather than RADIUS, and authenticate directly against things like AzureAD and Duo.

Are you using NPS for anything else?

I use the ISE integrated with Okta and I never had problems, it works very well.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

Good to know. Maybe I should be more brave.

It's just for WIFI. We're looking for RADIUS options right now and curious what most people in the industry are using.

We're good with our VPN since we're SAML using OKTA.

@alemabrahao is right - Cisco ISE is "da bomb".

I see 99.999% of companies using Microsoft NPS still.  Hard to beat the price.

ps. There are zero changes to NPS in newer versions of Windows.  To migrate, you just export the config on the old server and then import it on the new server.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels