Fooling an AP into thinking it’s wired

RumorConsumer
Head in the Cloud

Fooling an AP into thinking it’s wired

If i use some kind of propriety wireless bridging hardware to establish a 500 foot wireless link and stick a switch with an MR on the other side will it think it’s wired and act as a gateway?

Networking geek since high school where I got half of a CCNA. Played Marathon II and Infinity over localtalk.
Made many a network over the years, now de facto admin of a retreat center with some of this fine Meraki hardware.
Fortune 100 Tech veteran/refugee.
5 REPLIES 5
antonis_sp
Building a reputation

If the AP gets an IP through dhcp and can reach the internet, you should be fine.

Thanks. I wonder if it does any voodoo that raises the index score

Networking geek since high school where I got half of a CCNA. Played Marathon II and Infinity over localtalk.
Made many a network over the years, now de facto admin of a retreat center with some of this fine Meraki hardware.

@antonis_sp  is right.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/WiFi_Basics_and_Best_Practices/Wireless_Mesh_Networking#Gateways 

"Meraki determines whether a device should be a repeater or a gateway on boot when the unit sends out a DHCP request. If it receives a DHCP reply from a device on the wired network, it assumes that it has a valid LAN connection and will become a gateway AP. If a gateway AP is unable to reach the LAN gateway/upstream router, the AP will fail over to repeater mode."

Just listening to your podcast @PhilipDAth i can now imagine each of your replies in a charming kiwi accent! 

😁

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels