Enabling bonjour printers

SOLVED
Silas1066
Getting noticed

Enabling bonjour printers

I want to allow my wireless clients to print to Bonjour printers, but here is my challenge:

My corporate network is set up with 802.11x RADIUS authentication and MAC-filtering. Printers will not be able to join that network. So it looks like I have to create a separate wireless LAN for the printers.

I looked at the document from Meraki https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Client_Addressing_and_Bridging/Bonjour_Forwarding

but I am a little unclear on a couple things. Does this "service VLAN" need to be something I set up on my switches in advance? Should it be the same VLAN that the printers join? Or is this some logical thing that runs behind the scenes?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The service VLAN is something you create and is where you put the printers.

NOTE NOTE NOTE: The service VLAN can not be VLAN1.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The service VLAN is something you create and is where you put the printers.

NOTE NOTE NOTE: The service VLAN can not be VLAN1.

so just to recap:

I create a new wireless network with PSK authentication. Map it to a VLAN/subnet on the network, and make sure it can communicate via layer3 to the existing corporate wireless.

then go into the policy on both wireless networks, enable bonjour forwarding, and specify that new printer VLAN?

BrandonS
Kind of a big deal

The service VLAN is just one that your devices offering the service are on.  

- Ex community all-star (⌐⊙_⊙)
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels