Different APs models.

SOLVED
MG2
Conversationalist

Different APs models.

Hi all,

is advisable to mix different access point types in same enviroment?

In my case MR46 are already present 2xfloor and i'd like to add 2xfloor CW9166 or CW9164.

thanks for suggestions.

Regards,

MG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

In general, they shouldn't be mixed. But in your case, they are both WiFi6 with quite similar characteristics. Here I would say it is generally ok if you don't use 6GHz. But with 6GHz I have no idea how they behave.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

In general, they shouldn't be mixed. But in your case, they are both WiFi6 with quite similar characteristics. Here I would say it is generally ok if you don't use 6GHz. But with 6GHz I have no idea how they behave.

UARiT
Here to help

Definitely not. CM's are 6E and the rest are 6. As a rule of thumb, you should not mix APs unless they are similar in band and number or radios/channels... or not at all.  For example, you could safely blend MR36H into an existing MR36 installation without issue.  I have had problems with a mixed mesh of all MR36 and one MR46 that caused problems with roaming. This was likely due to a difference in the number of radios in the APs... you want to go for homogenous and contiguous. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels