Cisco Meraki Wireless AP authentication through Active Directory

Solved
Ferdie
Conversationalist

Cisco Meraki Wireless AP authentication through Active Directory

Hi guys,

Can you help me with this?

I want to create an SSID with Active Directory as authentication. I't says that I need to install Certificate Authority in the AD server and I already done that but still I get the same error. 

Error testing Active Directory: bad admin password

Authentication failed while testing on one of your APs. This means the server was reached but your credentials were incorrect. The test was stopped to prevent this account from being locked out due to multiple failed attempts. Please try again with different username and/or password, or just click the button again to rerun the test on all APs anyway

1 Accepted Solution
Bruce
Kind of a big deal

Good to hear you got it working. If you’re authenticating enterprise users then you are better off using 802.1x and a RADIUS server as you have discovered - it’s more seamless for the users. You can also use the same RADIUS server to secure your switch ports using Access Policies too. That way you can be sure that only authorised users are connecting via the switches too.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6
GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Did you correctly type in the AD administrator password in the configuration?

Or are you using another user that has sufficient privileges.

Ferdie
Conversationalist

Thanks for the reply, yes I'm using the Admin account password. 

Bruce
Kind of a big deal

I may not know the answer, but to try and assist, are you trying to use Enterprise Authentication with Local Auth (with AD being the LDAP server), or a Splash Page with Active Directory?

Ferdie
Conversationalist

The Splash page with AD, 

I cannot complete the AD configuration it says in the article that it requires root CA to be imported in the JRE 

Thats why I shift to another authentication using Radius server that was registered in AD and it works really fine

Bruce
Kind of a big deal

Good to hear you got it working. If you’re authenticating enterprise users then you are better off using 802.1x and a RADIUS server as you have discovered - it’s more seamless for the users. You can also use the same RADIUS server to secure your switch ports using Access Policies too. That way you can be sure that only authorised users are connecting via the switches too.

Ferdie
Conversationalist

Thanks for the suggestion, I will try that as well . I appreciate your response. keep safe!

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels