Chromecast with Google TV - Casting Issue

SOLVED
Kayles
Conversationalist

Chromecast with Google TV - Casting Issue

Hello all. I work at a K-12 School district and we just received several Chromecasts with Google TVs and I'm having trouble getting them to work. My windows laptop (Lenovo L13 Yoga) and Chromecast are both on the same wireless network and I can see the Chromecast show greyed out in my casting options but cannot actually click it to cast to it (screenshot at the bottom of what this looks like). We have at least 60 Chromecast Gen 3s that we've had no real issues with for the past year and a half so I'm not sure what the issue is. I've tried creating a new SSiD and using a separate VLAN but did not make any difference. I also factory reset the Chromecast, allowed it full access on my content filter and still does not work. Strangely enough, it worked for several casts one one occasion but went back to no longer working after restarting it. I've contacted Meraki support regarding this but figured I'd reach out on here as well in case anyone else has experience this issue. My network is WPA2 with a PSK in bridge mode with our own DHCP server. 

Here's a picture of how the Chromecast shows in my casting options. It also does not work for "specific video sites" like YouTube as the message says. 

Kayles_0-1673527110699.png

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Kayles
Conversationalist

Thanks for the answers all, turned out to be a missing configuration on our core switch/router unrelated to Meraki completely. Silly enough mDNS was not turned on for the core switch/router but our older Chromecasts still performed fine without it. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I have a Google Chromecast with Google TV for quite a while now.  My SSID is bridged to a VLAN.  It works 100% rock solid.

Is your config similar?

Kayles
Conversationalist

My SSID is bridged to the untagged VLAN of the AP ports (using HP/Aruba switches so I believe this would be the access VLAN in Cisco speak). I've attached screenshots of the config below. 

heyy1.pngheyy2.png

I've been looking into multicast/IGMP settings on the switches themselves but they seem to be configured okay. Like I mentioned before, the Gen 3 Chromecasts work fine which I'm assuming use similar multicast protocols. 

mlefebvre
Building a reputation

Do you have the Youtube app actually installed on the new Chromecast? Without the appropriate app for the website, the new Chromecast will not be able to play the content.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You're settings look identical to mine.  My two APs plug into an MX (I don't have a switch).

To the best of my knowledge - the MXs are dumb when it comes to multicast - they "broadcast" it out of every port.

TBHPTL
A model citizen

Ok so what is your management VLAN on the AP switch port? Trunk port or Access Port? What is the VLAN  the SSID on?  If your APs are taggin the traffic the traffic is on the native VLAN.

All of chromecast /casting and printing devices are in an isolated vlan from my wireless clients. Works great but you have to enable bonjour forwarding between the two segments.

Post a simple diagram and I can walk you through what is needed but is something like this:

First I would set up my switch ports as trunk ports assign a native vlan to these ports and that is the vlan your AP will pull for Merkai dashboard access.

Allow vlans for the user devices SSID segment and the chromecast on the same AP trunk port
Tag the SSID traffic with the vlan as appropriate

Enable bonjour forwarding for the services you want on EACH VLAN.

When you first set it up it will take a couple of minutes for the discovery between the vlans,  after its there its there....

Thi

Kayles
Conversationalist

Thanks for the answers all, turned out to be a missing configuration on our core switch/router unrelated to Meraki completely. Silly enough mDNS was not turned on for the core switch/router but our older Chromecasts still performed fine without it. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels