Are bandwidth limits set for a WLAN mutually exclusive?

SOLVED
CHAadmin
Getting noticed

Are bandwidth limits set for a WLAN mutually exclusive?

For example if I set a per-SSID bandwidth limit to 5 Mbps, does it do any good to also set a client limit?

What are the best practices here?

I have a business cable ISP WAN connection of 300/30

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Ben
A model citizen

Hi,

I think what you are looking for is published in these articles: https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Firewall_and_Traffic_Shaping/Global_Bandwidth_Limit_Consideratio...

I think the best practice depends on your environment.

If you setup an SSID bandwith limit of 5Mb/s MR access points in this network will refuse to pass more than a total of 5Mb/s for all clients associated to this SSID. Clients could be further limited by configuring a per-client bandwidth limit, but even a whitelisted client on this SSID would be capped at an absolute maximum of 5Mb/s.

If you have +-350 client devices this would be a good idea but if you have 10 devices you might as well give them some more bandwith. 

Cheers,
Ben

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Ben
A model citizen

Hi,

I think what you are looking for is published in these articles: https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Firewall_and_Traffic_Shaping/Global_Bandwidth_Limit_Consideratio...

I think the best practice depends on your environment.

If you setup an SSID bandwith limit of 5Mb/s MR access points in this network will refuse to pass more than a total of 5Mb/s for all clients associated to this SSID. Clients could be further limited by configuring a per-client bandwidth limit, but even a whitelisted client on this SSID would be capped at an absolute maximum of 5Mb/s.

If you have +-350 client devices this would be a good idea but if you have 10 devices you might as well give them some more bandwith. 

Cheers,
Ben

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels