cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding Wired Devices - How to Share Wired Connections?

Building a reputation

Adding Wired Devices - How to Share Wired Connections?

I have some tall buildings on site that have a single ethernet running up to a MR84 or 74. I am going to add some more hardware up there that requires their own POE+ connections. Is there anything weather proof people use to offer another wired connection that isn't totally hacky crap or am I gonna be running a new ethernet cable up there? Either way is fine just didn't want to do something y'all already thought of. 

Networking geek since high school where I got half of a CCNA. Played Marathon II and Infinity over localtalk.
Made many a network over the years, now admin of a retreat center with some of this fine Meraki hardware.
4 REPLIES 4
Kind of a big deal

Re: Adding Wired Devices - How to Share Wired Connections?

What about a small PoE switch inside a NEMA enclosure?
Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn
Building a reputation

But then I’m stuck powering a switch right?
Networking geek since high school where I got half of a CCNA. Played Marathon II and Infinity over localtalk.
Made many a network over the years, now admin of a retreat center with some of this fine Meraki hardware.
Highlighted
Kind of a big deal

The switch would need power yes. Not sure what else you can do. Either you have to get a switch up there in a NEMA box or you will simply need to run another Ethernet cable (or more?).
Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn
Kind of a big deal

The POE+ is the sticking point there.

Cisco used to have a series of switches that could be powered by POE+ and give out POE.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/switches/catalyst-2960-c-series-switches/index.html 

I think I would run 4 cables rather than one to save any future grief.

Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.