Access Point does not connect under certain conditions.

SOLVED
LewisGoddard
Conversationalist

Access Point does not connect under certain conditions.

I have one Access Point that is in a slightly unusual area with no on-switch-poe available. I know the injector delivers enough power and transfers data correctly as the device works fine connected directly to a laptop, but when connected to a non-poe switch it fails to communicate.

MR33 connected to Laptop via PoE Injector - Works fine.

MR33 connected to Unbranded Router via PoE Injector - Works fine.

MR33 connected to HP J9729A 2920 with POE+ switch. - Works fine.

MR33 connected to non-PoE HP J9728A/J9726A 2920-48G switch via PoE Injector - No ethernet comms (switches to repeater mode if close enough to other network, desired location is not).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I think I might know what the problem is. The POE injector is a PowerDsine 3001, which only supports 10/100 Mbps. I'm guessing that between that and the considerably more modern switches and APs, some negotiation failure is occurring.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Jeff_Longley
Getting noticed

So, in the final scenario, I'm assuming it's getting power, just not connectivity?

Its it connected to a trunk port?

That is correct, power and wireless work but no wired connectivity.

It is not connected to a trunk port, it is connected to a port with the same VLAN configuration as on the POE switch. I have even tried using the same port on the POE enabled switch through the injector, and that stops wired comms from working.

I think I might know what the problem is. The POE injector is a PowerDsine 3001, which only supports 10/100 Mbps. I'm guessing that between that and the considerably more modern switches and APs, some negotiation failure is occurring.
SoCalRacer
Kind of a big deal

My bet is that is has something to do with the config on the port on the HP non-PoE switch. I would plug your laptop in there and see what IP you get and what kind of speed/auto-negotiation and network access you get,

LewisGoddard
Conversationalist

I was right about me going through 2 faulty POE injectors. The first was a total dud and the second was an older 100 Mbps model. Bought a couple of these BV Tecg Single Gigabit Ethernet Injectors on Amazon for £19 and they work fine. https://www.amazon.co.uk/BV-Tech-Single-Gigabit-Ethernet-Injector/dp/B00B4H00EO/
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels