Mover switch de una red a otra y agregarlo a un stack existente

Solved
Tonner
Just browsing

Mover switch de una red a otra y agregarlo a un stack existente

Hola a todos!

Tengo una duda sobre como se comportan las configuraciones de stack de switch.

Tengo 2 redes distintas en diferentes ubicaciones físicas.

Quiero mover uno de los switch de la Red 1 a la Red 2.

El switch ya lo moví al inventario

La Red 2 tiene 2 switch del mismo modelo en stack.

Quiero agregar el switch de la red 1 (ya no existe la red 1 y el switch no tiene conexión a internet) al stack de switch de la Red 2.

Mi dudas son:

1- Que pasa a agregar el switch de la red 1 en la red 2 y sumarlo al stack. Puedo clonar la configuración del stack de la red 2 y sobreescribr la configuración que tenía en la red 1 ?

2- El switch de la red1 tiene IP estática de una subred de la red1, al conectarlo a la nueva red me imagino no va a poder comunicarse con internet, por lo cual imagino que no voy a poder cambiarle la configuración para que pueda salir a internet por la red 2. Es así ?

3- Cuales serían los mejores pasos a seguir para agregar el switch de la red1 al stack de la red 2 tomando en cuenta lo que comenté en los 2 puntos anteriores (red 1 ya no existe, el switch de red 1 tiene una configuración de otra red).

Les agradezco de antemano por la ayuda que me puedan brindar!

Saludos  

1 Accepted Solution
Madhan_kumar_G
Getting noticed

Hi,

1- If I reset the meraki device, it will mantain the license? should I take care of something else if I had that device in the inventory right now before I make the factory reset (the switches are running same firmware version at this moment)

Do remove the switch from the Network and do the factory reset. To reset an MS switch to the factory defaults, press the button labeled Reset or Restore on the front panel of the appliance for 10-15 seconds. Be sure to release the button after the power light goes out. This will clear the static IP address settings and local configuration of the device.

There is no impact on License

2- When you said "Plug the switch into an existing connection, and give it a good 45 minutes to upgrade its software.  It must be running the same software as existing stack members." is enough to connect any switch port from reseted switch to a stacked switch in a access port vlan with dhcp and internet access?

Before configuring the switch to be stack member, wait till it goes through the software upgrade that matches to the other members of the going to be stack.

3- What is the meaning of "full ring"?

346525.jpg

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
Madhan_kumar_G
Getting noticed

Hi

Factory Reset the removed switch

Plug the switch into an existing connection, and give it a good 45 minutes to upgrade its software.  It must be running the same software as existing stack members.

Hopefully your existing stack has a full "ring".

Break the ring, and plug in your new switch, and re-form the ring.

Within maybe 5 to 10 minutes if you go to "Switch/Switch Stacks".  It will report there is an additional member than can be added to the stack.  Let it add it to the stack.

You are done.  Note that depending on the code version they have be a short disruption to service while you do this, so do it out of peak time.

https://community.meraki.com/t5/Switching/Adding-a-switch-to-an-existing-stack/m-p/22615

Thanks @Madhan for the answer and the solution that you provide to me.

I have a couple of question about your steps:

1- If I reset the meraki device, it will mantain the license? should I take care of something else if I had that device in the inventory right now before I make the factory reset (the switches are running same firmware version at this moment)

2- When you said "Plug the switch into an existing connection, and give it a good 45 minutes to upgrade its software.  It must be running the same software as existing stack members." is enough to connect any switch port from reseted switch to a stacked switch in a access port vlan with dhcp and internet access?

Thanks in advance

Madhan_kumar_G
Getting noticed

Hi,

Do remove the switch from the Network and do the factory reset. To reset an MS switch to the factory defaults, press the button labeled Reset or Restore on the front panel of the appliance for 10-15 seconds. Be sure to release the button after the power light goes out. This will clear the static IP address settings and local configuration of the device.

There is no impact on License

Before configuring the switch to be stack member, wait till it goes through the software upgrade that matches to the other members of the going to be stack.

346525.jpg

Tonner
Just browsing

Muchas gracias, funcionó como era lo esperado.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.