need to configure DHCP IP helper address on VLAN in MS switch

Networkdezire
New here

need to configure DHCP IP helper address on VLAN in MS switch

Hello All,

Could you please anybody help here how do we configure DHCP  IP helper address to the vlan in MS meraki siwtch like we configure in normal cisco switch -

ex- 

interface Vlan1
ip address 10.56.0.30 255.255.248.0
ip helper-address 10.32.1.29
end

6 REPLIES 6
Adam
Kind of a big deal

The equivalent setting to that in the Meraki Dashboard is under Switch>Routing & DHCP.  Then you'd have to have a layer 3 interface for Vlan1 created and you can set the client addressing to "Relay DHCP to another server".  In your case 10.32.1.29

Capture.PNG

Adam R MS | CISSP, CISM, VCP, MCITP, CCNP, ITILv3, CMNO
If this was helpful click the Kudo button below
If my reply solved your issue, please mark it as a solution.
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Note you need an MS210 or above to do this.  The MS120 does not support DHCP relay.

@PhilipDAth wrote:

Note you need an MS210 or above to do this.  The MS120 does not support DHCP relay.

Just to add to what @PhilipDAth rightly pointed out, this doesn't mean MS120 won't work in environments where you need clients relayed to an off-subnet DHCP server but, with an MS120, you are reliant on the BOOTP messages being forwarded at Layer-2, rather than relayed at Layer-3 (MS120 doesn't do layer-3 routing).  Ensure you have contiguous connectivity for the VLAN your clients are in, from the first switch all the way to the Layer 3 device (a router or routing switch - MS210 or better) that is providing the relay function.

m_Andrew
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

The MS120 does support a DHCP relay configuration. You go to:
Switch --> Routing & DHCP

Press the button to add an interface, and select the MS120 as the switch you are adding an interface on.

Since the MS120 is an L2 switch these interfaces are limited in their operation. They cannot be used for general purpose routing or full fledge DHCP servers -- only DHCP relay and IGMP querier configurations are supported.

The following article explains how a DHCP relay works:
https://documentation.meraki.com/MX-Z/DHCP/Configuring_DHCP_Relay

Note this article references configurations on an MX instead of MS, but the MS also supports this same relay functionality.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I stand corrected.  I had based my answer off the specifications.  The MS120 specifications don't mention support for DHCP relay.  I knew they didn't have DHCP server support, so that also seemed reasonable their was no relay support.

https://meraki.cisco.com/products/switches/ms120-24#tech-specs

I just had a quick look, and indeed the option does appear when you have mentioned.

You learn something new every day!    Thanks for that jewel...

I have to say - it would (to me at least) be an unusual deployment, to use this feature;   as you have to have a non-MS120 L3 gateway anyway, why would you not run the BOOTP helper there, in order to keep your off-subnet traffic flows consistent..?

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels