managing/monitoring port status

Compaxo
Just browsing

managing/monitoring port status

Hi 

We using meraki switches (MS425-16, MS125-48LP, MS125-24P).
I looking for a possibility to manage switchports (Enable/disable switching) and monitoring (alert is enabled port)

I wanna use this to control a few ports whice must be desabled by default, could be enabled easily (by script) and give an alert during the time the are enabled (as reminder they must be disabled again).

Ik hope someone can help me.

7 Replies 7
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Have you checked this documentation?

https://documentation.meraki.com/MS/Access_Control/Port_Schedules#:~:text=Port%20schedules%20can%20b....

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
Compaxo
Just browsing

Hi Alemabrahao,

Yep I know the possibility of port scheduling.
However I heve the next situation:

A third party has managed access to a part of our network for maintenance and error

The problem is that errors not can be scheduleled (I whish I could schedule them in my holidays)

So I look for a possibility to enable the port in case of an error.
When I can handle this with a scripr I can give none network engineers give control of the script to enable the port when necassary.
A notification of an enabled port is necassary because people are good in opening ports when necassary but closing them is a little more difficult. (Or to much work)

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Sorry, but I didn't understand. Which error? Wouldn't it be better to work on the root cause of the problem instead of disabling and enabling the port?

I think it will be something a bit complex to do, perhaps with APIs but you would need to integrate it with a monitoring system.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Sorry maybe I was not complete with my question
We are a manufactor of meat products and have a lot of machinery in our factory (slicing and package machines)

The manifactor of this machines want to access this machines as said for maintanace and/or errors
This access is granted but only in consultation.
API experience is something I don't have.
Our monitoring tool can monitor port statusses however a enabled port give a positive monitoring result and a diabled port is negative and will be alerted. In this case is the enabld port negative ande the disabled port positive. something our monitor can not handle. 

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I suggest you open a support case.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@Compaxo you would need to use the Meraki APIs or automation tools that leverage the APIs.  With the APIs you can check a port status and change a port status (up or down).  Therefore if your machine error can send an alert, an automation platform can listen to that and use the Meraki APIs to open the switch port.  It could also then remind you it is open.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

>I looking for a possibility to manage switchports (Enable/disable switching) 

Could you tag the ports?  Then you could simply search for the tag in the dashboard and enable/disable them all at once in a group.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MS/Port_and_VLAN_Configuration/Switch_Ports#Port_configuration 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels