leastime

elves
Here to help

leastime

Hello,
hope someone help me,
we have created a vlan on a meraki core switch with /27 subnet, and the lease time is set to 1 week, i change the least time to 24 hours, how long it will take to replenish the IP after i changes the least time from 1 week to 24 hrs?

thank you!

10 Replies 10
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Only after the IP lease time already granted to the client has been reset, in other words 1 week.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You can force clients to renew their IP with the commands ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

elves
Here to help

@alemabrahao 
sorry incomplete info that vlan is not via LAN its assign on a unifi access point on 1 of our SSID,  already release and renew also rebooted the nearest AP, or i just need to wait a little longer?

thank you for the help sir 

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

This is irrelevant, the correct thing would be to clear the entries in the DHCP bind, which is not possible on Meraki, meaning you will have to wait 1 week.

@alemabrahao thank you for the enlightenment sir, will just wait

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I think that it should actually be less than that, if the DHCP lease is 1 week, then the client will check in about half way through and if the lease time has been reduced to 1 day then you could expect something like 4 days in total.

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

No, once the IP is assigned with the lease that was initially configured, it is necessary to wait for it to expire. I've already tested it in practice, it's the expected behavior.

rhbirkelund
Kind of a big deal

If you disable the DHCP server and enable it again, all DHCP bindings should be cleared.

LinkedIn ::: https://blog.rhbirkelund.dk/

Like what you see? - Give a Kudo ## Did it answer your question? - Mark it as a Solution 🙂

All code examples are provided as is. Responsibility for Code execution lies solely your own.

i wanted to try this one but cannot interrupt the end users 

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

>i change the least time to 24 hours, how long it will take

After 0 days 0% of the leases are statistically likely to be released.

After 3.5 days 50% of the leases are statistically likely to be released.

After 7 days 100% of the leases are statistically likely to be released.

Do you see the trend?

It's a bit nasty, but what you can also do is turn off the DHCP server in Meraki, save, and then turn it on again, save.  Voila the DHCP database is now wiped.  IP address conflict resolution should save you from most dramas.  A couple of devices are bound to end up with a conflict, but a large chunk of things will work.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels