cisco router swap with meraki mx

Solved
Alan79
Comes here often

cisco router swap with meraki mx

Hi All,

I am trying to replace my exiting mx67 with cisco 1120, but leave upstream swich MS 350.

Cisco 1120 is managed by cisco FMC, where I have managed to assign an outside interface with ISP details and on inside two sub-interfaces, one is VLAN1 and second VLAN35 for data. To facilitate migration I kept the same settings as I have on MX67, however after cable swap switch goes down and showing lost connection to the cloud.

My understanding that VLAN 1 is deemed as Native VLAN.

Wonder is somebodey could suggest  a correct process in swaping mx wit cisco router.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution
KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

What is now configured on your VLAN1 subinterface needs to be moved to the physical interface. It is still a routed interface and not a switch port/VLAN interface as on the 1010. But this is the way you make the traffic untagged.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7
KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If you configure VLAN 1 as a subinterface on FTD, you don't have a native VLAN. You need to confgure your VLAN1 settings on the main interface.

But to be sure better post screenshots of your settings.

Alan79
Comes here often

Unfortunatelly, on cisco 1120 I do not have ability to configure interface as VLAN unless I am missing something, this option I believe only available on cisco 1010. Below is a screen shot form FMC

@KarstenI wrote:

If you configure VLAN 1 as a subinterface on FTD, you don't have a native VLAN. You need to confgure your VLAN1 settings on the main interface.

But to be sure better post screenshots of your settings.

ftd.png

KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

What is now configured on your VLAN1 subinterface needs to be moved to the physical interface. It is still a routed interface and not a switch port/VLAN interface as on the 1010. But this is the way you make the traffic untagged.

@KarstenI is right! Some other Vendors do that kind of configuration as well. And it kind of makes sense if you consider that "Native" VLAN is UNtagged.

So in that FMC interface actually implies that all subinterfaces are tagged and the only UNtagged would be the physical. By the way, allowing UNtagged isn't the rule but the exception. Usually, you wouldn't route untagged traffic.

If you're curious, check more here in this Cisco Doc.

If you found this post helpful, please give it kudos. If my answer solved your problem, click "accept as solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Alan79
Comes here often

I jhave made the above changes and i am able to ping meraki switch IP, however it is still unable to reach meraki cloud.

From Cisco I am able to ping any external ip address as well as internal, I did check packet tracer and it allows all subnets to outside interface in ACL.

Current config:

On Meraki I keep native Vlan 1 with allow all vlans and on Cisco subnet from VLAN 1 has been moved onto the interface as gateway (.1).

KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Not really a problem for the Meraki Community. But what I see most often as a problem is a messed up NAT config on the FTD.

Alan79
Comes here often

Karstenl,

You was right in terms of NAT and Native VLAN, it brought switch online along with AP.

However, I am strugle with DNS resolustion for both meraki devices and wonder what could couse that.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels