Witch transceiver to choose ?

SOLVED
chuc
Conversationalist

Witch transceiver to choose ?

Hi all,

First of all I'm sorry for my poor english : I'm french.

1- servers room link :

I have an MS420-16 linked with a MS350-24X by aTwinax Cable with SFP+ Connectors in my main servers room and a MS350-24X in my backup servers room. the two rooms are linked with an old fiber optical link at 1Gb speed.

My manager finally ordered a new fiber optical link to connect those two servers rooms with a better speed.

The future link will be an OM4 LC/LC 574 feet long (175 meters).

The provider sell us this link as a 10Gb speed link.

I read that OM4 can speed up to 40 Gb.

My question is : what max speed can I obtain between my twoo rooms and witch transceivers do I order to link my MS420-16 and my MS350-24x at full speed ?

2- secondary network bays :

We are contructing a new facility and a new network bay will be installed.

the same provider as in first point will link my two facilities with a OM4 LC/LC.

the two facilities have MS350-24P switches.

witch SFP+ 10Gb transceiver do I order to link these two switches ?

I hope that I am clear in my explanations.

Thank you in advance for your expertise and your time.

Cedric.

edit : I have made a typo, it's not a MS-420-16 but a MS-425-16. If I make no mistake it has two 40G QSFP+ interfaces.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Bruce
Kind of a big deal

@chuc your OM4 fibre is a multimode, and will happily do 10Gbps at that length. As it is 175m you will find it hard to get 40Gbps to work, generally with only one pair of fibres (using LC connectors) the maximum distance is 150m. You could go further if you had multiple pairs in a MPO connector. The Meraki SFP data sheet, which show lengths and fibre types, is available here, https://meraki.cisco.com/lib/pdf/meraki_datasheet_sfp.pdf.

Since all your links are OM4 with LC connectors I’d use MA-SFP-10GB-SR everywhere to use 10Gbps speeds.

Don’t worry about your English, it is great, far better than my French.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
RomanMD
Building a reputation

Hi,

1. you need to know if this is Single Mode or Multi mode fiber. Since you say this is OM4, then it must be Multimode. 

For multimode: MA-SFP-10GB-SR

MS420 does not support 40Gb QSFP modules.

2. same as in the first point.

Bruce
Kind of a big deal

@chuc your OM4 fibre is a multimode, and will happily do 10Gbps at that length. As it is 175m you will find it hard to get 40Gbps to work, generally with only one pair of fibres (using LC connectors) the maximum distance is 150m. You could go further if you had multiple pairs in a MPO connector. The Meraki SFP data sheet, which show lengths and fibre types, is available here, https://meraki.cisco.com/lib/pdf/meraki_datasheet_sfp.pdf.

Since all your links are OM4 with LC connectors I’d use MA-SFP-10GB-SR everywhere to use 10Gbps speeds.

Don’t worry about your English, it is great, far better than my French.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels