Will there ever be a way to back up configuration settings in the cloud or export locally?

MerakiJockey505
Building a reputation

Will there ever be a way to back up configuration settings in the cloud or export locally?

I have had the unfortunate duty of having to reprogram and accidentally cloned switch as well as one that the configuration was unknowingly removed.  It would be nice to have a way to back up these settings both to the cloud as well as locally in case of emergency. 

6 REPLIES 6
BHC_RESORTS
Head in the Cloud

@MerakiJockey505 wrote:

I have had the unfortunate duty of having to reprogram and accidentally cloned switch as well as one that the configuration was unknowingly removed.  It would be nice to have a way to back up these settings both to the cloud as well as locally in case of emergency. 

Plus, with the recent "accident", which I'm guessing was an S3 mistake, it would really be great to have backups off-cloud as well. I'm paranoid - once a month we literally take screenshots of all the most important configs and archive them.

BHC Resorts IT Department

Couldn't agree more @BHC_RESORTS, in light of the new "events" I think the concern is especially relevant now. 

@BHC_RESORTS I do the same thing! Was crucial in saving one of my switches during late night maintenance a few weeks back.

Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below)
jfry2k
Conversationalist

Been "making a wish" for this for a long time now!  I think the Meraki Gods have started ignoring me!

JD
Conversationalist

Some kind of backup is very much needed. The "event" seems to a proven this.  

robby_barnes
Getting noticed

@MerakiJockey505 wrote:

I had an issue a while ago, and support was able to pull logs to show what the previous settings were, although I would guess they would not be able to do that every time.  Not a very elegant solution though, I agree they should have a better solution.

In our organization, we decided to take screenshots of every page in the configuration, then we actually keep a GitHub repo with all of the versions in there, so we can track the changes.  Really not an elegant solution, but it works at least.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels