Using MS120-8 as access switches

SOLVED
Steve1978
Comes here often

Using MS120-8 as access switches

Hi,

I have a network of around 32 switches. MS425 at the Core and a mixture of MS210 and MS225. Additionally I have 3 MS120-8 port switches for use where needed. I have had no issues with any of them. Our entire network usage during production shows on the dashboard at never topping over 0.8Gb/s. probably half of that comes from the 60 cctv cameras.

We are creating a new area in the production environment. Low latency is important to us. we are not transferring large amounts of data. more of a lot of small pieces. I will do my best to keep it short and summaries the question.

we have 5 sub assembly areas. each will require 2 computers, one  camera (hikvision). 2 printers. These sub assemblies may move around over time to maximise space and efficiency. the computers are displaying a short video and the other is registering transactions from a handscanner. 

Option 1

Install a MS210x48 run cables to each station and then a fiber back to nearest location. Risk is single point of failure, switch failure takes out an awful lot of the network. critical spare would need to be acquired.

Option 2 

Install an ms120-8 fiber this back to the nearest location. Install a MS120-8 at each of the 5 sub assemblies and keep 1 critical spare. Risk,. throughput at the fibered ms120-8. Datasheet says its capable of 20Gb/s so it shouldn't be an issue when looking at our usage.

Any thoughts?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I personally think the MS120-8's will do the job fine but I guess you really won't know for sure unless you setup an assembly area as a pilot.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I personally think the MS120-8's will do the job fine but I guess you really won't know for sure unless you setup an assembly area as a pilot.

Steve1978
Comes here often

I am thinking maybe using a ms120-24p as the distribution switch, this has double the bandwidth at about 54Gb/s. would allow for further 8 ports to be used too potentially.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@Steve1978 the 24 port switch only has more bandwidth as it has more ports, the throughout for your purposes is exactly the same.  You'd only have more throughput if you put in an MS125-24p as that has SFP+ ports so can have 10Gb/s uplinks.

Steve1978
Comes here often

Good point. It would allow us to use more 8 port switches if we needed to expand. The 10gb wouldn't come in to play as the 8 ports are only 1gb.

Thanks all for help i think we will go for it.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels