The DHCP server on the 9300 is not working properly

shlomoi
Getting noticed

The DHCP server on the 9300 is not working properly

Hi,

we recently purchased 10 units of  9300 switches , we are interested in the switches being used as the DHCP of the  for several networks , and we want the FW stay  the  DEFAULT GATEWAY for the vlans , we set everything 
But we receive the MERAKI  as the DEFAULT GATEWAY and not the FW.

network 192.168.100/24

ip interface 192.168.100.253

default gateway of the interface in FW  :Does not exist but should be 192.168.100.254 

shlomoi_0-1728490982380.png

shlomoi_1-1728491438971.png

Does anyone know what the problem is.

Thanks 

10 Replies 10
DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Hi @shlomoi , that’s always the default behaviour with Meraki DHCP.  You’ll need to create a new Option to amend the DFG.

but….i don’t believe you can set Options using the 9300Ms.

@cmr - I believe that was your experience of these?

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@DarrenOC you are correct, it is not possible to create a number of DHCP options, generally ones where there is a name in Cisco IOS-XE, such as domain-name.  It did also include NetBIOS node type and some others, but I do think that default gateway was one of the few that did work.

Hi, I set option 3 and you are right because I get an error message
So actually it is not possible to set up a dhcp server on the meraki

thanks

There were errors in saving this configuration:

• DHCP option code 3 unsupported on C9300X

shlomoi_0-1728493385887.png

DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

yep, never understood why such a basic option isn’t supported in these newer models!

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Apologies for my poor memory, @DarrenOC you were 100% correct!

DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Of course I was 😆

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

It was always supposed to be supported when native IOS-XE Meraki was released.  @GreenMan have you been able to verify that?

GreenMan
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

There's definitely no specific tie-up between these two things;    the extra DHCP options don't become supported within the IOS XE 17.15.1.9 that's now available for the C9300 / MS390 platforms For the uninitiated this transitions these from a container-based architecture to one that is based on native IOS XE, with support for Meraki cloud management - check out all the details on this in the Release Notes available in Org > Firmware upgrades in Dashboard, for more on this - you'll find it under the Beta tab, for the time being)

There was however a significant focus on bringing this architecture change to fruition prior to bringing on other features.  These DHCP options ould fall into the latter.  Right now I don't have any extra info on timing for those.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Thanks @GreenMan, so perhaps the 2025 timeline I was given referred to a subsequent native IOS-XE release, makes sense now.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels