Switch vLAN support - cost effective (working options)

GaryShainberg
Building a reputation

Switch vLAN support - cost effective (working options)

Dear Friends,

I have a client with an extensive Meraki (full stack) network but they have a couple of locations that need a max of 3 devices (mostly 2) and for them to invest in 120 (8s) is an overkill both physically and financially.

Please Can someone suggest some low cost switches that support vLAN's and work well with a Meraki infrastructure.

Regards

Gary

CTO & Solutioneer
CMNA, CMNO, ECMS2
SNSA, SNSP
~~If you found this post helpful, please give it kudos. If my answer solved your problem, click "accept as solution" so that others can benefit from it.~~
3 REPLIES 3
Uberseehandel
Kind of a big deal

@GaryShainberg wrote:

Dear Friends,

I have a client with an extensive Meraki (full stack) network but they have a couple of locations that need a max of 3 devices (mostly 2) and for them to invest in 120 (8s) is an overkill both physically and financially.

Please Can someone suggest some low cost switches that support vLAN's and work well with a Meraki infrastructure.

There are a number of small managed switches that are cheaper, but not Meraki products.

Over the last couple of days I have been experimenting with the Meraki Z3C Teleworker Gateway. They have 4 local gigabit ethernet ports, one of which is PoE 802.3af, and a LTE modem may be specified, as well as the Internet port and MU-MIMO WiFi.

I had a quick google and I see that in the UK, it is available for £247.88 exc.vat. This is noticeably cheaper than the 8 port switch.

It may suit your use case. https://meraki.cisco.com/lib/pdf/meraki_datasheet_z_series.pdf

Once I had set it up in its own network, it just worked and is managed by the Meraki Cloud software.

Robin St.Clair | Principal, Caithness Analytics | @uberseehandel

@Uberseehandel 

Thanks, also thought about this as an option as I have some Z1's but either way, this is still an expensive option, especially by the time you get lic's as well. I am going to have a "play" with some other options tomorrow and see if that work OK.

Thanks again

CTO & Solutioneer
CMNA, CMNO, ECMS2
SNSA, SNSP
~~If you found this post helpful, please give it kudos. If my answer solved your problem, click "accept as solution" so that others can benefit from it.~~
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

What about an MX68 which has a 10 port LAN switch built in?

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels