Switch goes offline while stacking

larzstar
Comes here often

Switch goes offline while stacking

In my test I got the old and new switch green and fine in the dashboard, configured the two QSTP ports as stacking ports then connected the two QSTP stacking-cables. Few min laters I the switches disconnected from the dashboard and lit up orange.

Decided to pull the power on the new switch to recover, then soon the production switch came back online again.

Both switches are connected to the MX, and although you create a loop by connecting the stacking cables, the ports are defined as stacking ports, and also RSTP is enabled so not sure if that is the cause.

Should I just have more patience and have waited? 

Anyone with some experience on this?

Can you stack two switches during production or does it require downtime?

7 REPLIES 7
BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

Did you follow the procedure described here:

https://documentation.meraki.com/MS/Stacking/Switch_Stacks

Are you talking about flexible stacking on MS425?

Yes flexible stacking and they are MS425. Followed the instructions.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Are the switches running 10.x firmware?

Yes they are both running MS 10.35.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Plug the stacking cables in, wait 5 minutes, and then see what the local status page says.  It will give a hint as to why the switches as offline.

https://documentation.meraki.com/zGeneral_Administration/Tools_and_Troubleshooting/Using_the_Cisco_M...

Ok thanks, I guess I should go to 10.45 first then plug in the stacking cables and be patient. 

Looking at the official Meraki video for stacking one would think this was just as easy as plug and play. 

redsector
Head in the Cloud

I had the same problem with using not original Meraki stacking cables. the switches went orange and weren´t reachable any more.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels