Switch Access Policy - Can't Contact Radius Server

SOLVED
ph0t0g
Getting noticed

Switch Access Policy - Can't Contact Radius Server

I have a very simple setup in my lab. It's one MX65 connected to one MS220-8P connected to one MR30H. I set up a Radius server and configured the MR30H to use it for network authentication. Works great. Today I wanted to set up Radius authentication for some of the switch ports on the MS220-8P. I created an access policy and entered in the same information for the Radius server that I entered for the AP (the same IP address, port number, and secret). However, when I use the "Test" button, it comes back with "1 switch failed to connect to the RADIUS server". I re-checked everything three times. There is nothing in the switch Event Log.

How can it be that the AP on the switch can access the Radius server, but the switch itself cannot? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
NolanHerring
Kind of a big deal

Did you add the IP for the switch (or the subnet it sits on) into RADIUS?

Also I've found sometimes the test button to not be 100% reliable. Like authentication works but it fails. Try one of the ports and see if authentication functions or not. In the slight off-chance that is what it is.
Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
NolanHerring
Kind of a big deal

Did you add the IP for the switch (or the subnet it sits on) into RADIUS?

Also I've found sometimes the test button to not be 100% reliable. Like authentication works but it fails. Try one of the ports and see if authentication functions or not. In the slight off-chance that is what it is.
Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn

Thanks, that was it. I configured the Policy, but forgot to add the switch IP as a RADIUS Client.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels