Stacking different models

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Stacking different models

I know we're probably not going to get an answer, but does anyone know a technical reason why switches with the same stacking bandwidth cannot be stacked together, with the notable exception of the MS210 and MS225 ranges?

In particular I'm thinking of the MS-355 and MS-450 models that both have 100Gb stacking connections.  They must have about the same performance as you can have 384Gbps between the 54 front ports on the 355-48X2 with the 450-12 having 680Gbps between 14 ports.  A pair of 450/355 mixed stacks would be a great core.

3 Replies 3
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Probably because when stacking different models or you wont get all the features end up with partial stack.

So, I believe it is something behind the hardware/software engineering.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@alemabrahao I'm guessing the same as you, but what features does an MS450 have that a MS355 does not, or vice-versa?

I do wonder if it would be technically possible, but the Meraki product owners don't think it is a feature worth spending development and testing resource on?

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Good question my friend.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels