Stacking MS425-32 Long Distance?

SOLVED
Atags
Getting noticed

Stacking MS425-32 Long Distance?

Hi,

I am very familiar with physical stacking and what is does. I have worked with both Meraki and Cisco Catalysts for stacking.

I am curious, if 2 MS425-32 Core switches that are separated by long distance inside a building where a physical stack cable won't work, is there a way to stack these over long distance? and if yes, how exactly does it work and what is needed?

Would it be the same thing and physical in terms of having that 1 virtual switch for ports and administration if done this way?

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Bruce
Kind of a big deal

The MS425 range have a slightly different stacking approach to the other Meraki switches as I’m sure you’re aware. As they use the front ports they support a greater range of SFP+/QSFP modules for stacking, and so you can use, for example, 10GBase-SR modules (or 40Gs modules) and create a stack over optical fibre distances, if you want to.

Once you have the Flexible Stacking on the MS425 configured, it operates exactly the same as any other stacked switches in the Meraki range (e.g. MS350).

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@Atags you could perhaps use a fibre connection as a stack cable, the current stacking cables are absolutely standard twinax cables.

Bruce
Kind of a big deal

The MS425 range have a slightly different stacking approach to the other Meraki switches as I’m sure you’re aware. As they use the front ports they support a greater range of SFP+/QSFP modules for stacking, and so you can use, for example, 10GBase-SR modules (or 40Gs modules) and create a stack over optical fibre distances, if you want to.

Once you have the Flexible Stacking on the MS425 configured, it operates exactly the same as any other stacked switches in the Meraki range (e.g. MS350).

Atags
Getting noticed

Thank you both for replying

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels