Stack with switches in another room

ThomasCci
Here to help

Stack with switches in another room

Hi,

For a small office of 50 people, we have a server room with 2 MS350-48FP stacked using the stack ports and stack cables at the back of the devices.

The stack is connected to 2 Internet lines and provides Internet access for client machines and Wi-FI APs.

We will rent a new space on the same floor, so we'll have to add two stacked switches (in another comms room that's 20 meters far from the room where the primary stack is) and connect this stack to the primary stack.

I am thinking of stacking the two new switches as a new stack and connecting the two stacks with redundant fiber links.

Is that a good idea? Or should I set up the four switches as a single stack?

4 Replies 4
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

In my opinion I would go this way, I think it is more advantageous than having a stack with 4 switches.

In fact, you have to do what you think is most advantageous for you. Everyone has a different opinion.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

It's a bit of an 'it depends'.

Personally, I would probably go with 2 separate switch stacks with a port-channel between them as it seems to logically makes more sense in your scenario.

However, if you think you'll have a lot of East<->West traffic between the stacks, where the interconnect might be saturated, then stacking all 4 together might be a better option.

Yes the port channel is something I wanted to do.

My idea is to set the 2nd stack with stack ports/cables and use the fiber ports on 1 of the 2nd stack's switches, do port channel, and connect to one of the switches on the 1st stack. 

Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You would ideally want to do cross stack port channels. One link from switch 1 and one link from switch 2 in the stack added into a single port channel.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels